LaserWriter Problem

Reaction score
Hello !

My Mac is a G4 AGP Graphics that runs under OS X 10.3.9, which I bought second-hand.

After moving to another location I want to hook up my old LaserWriter 12/640 PS to this "new" G4 with an new ethernet cable, over a Wlinx Minihub. The printer worked (with another G4 under 10.4).

The G4 seems not to "see" the printer. Cannot even "ping" it. Direct connection without the hub does not work either.

Any ideas ?

Many thanks,

Takeo.

Reaction score
Hello !

Still got the same problem - is there REALLY no-one who could help me ?

Thanx,

Takeo.

Reaction score
Hi Takeo,

Have you tried connecting other devices in a similar way? It may be that one of your ports has failed or something. It would at least help you to isolate the problem.

Reaction score
Hi Takeo,

Have you tried connecting other devices in a similar way? It may be that one of your ports has failed or something. It would at least help you to isolate the problem.

Dear Muirdach,

Thank you very much for your reply!
Unfortunately, I do not possess any another device and I live in "deep" France, where the word "Mac" only generates an answer like "huh?".

I have an adsl connection that connects my Mac and my printer over a Wlinx mini-hub. It has 5 ports, one of which is an uplink.

When I connect the printer to the hub, the line and power leds come on on the ethernet cable adapter, so some form of connection must be there. (with one of the ports, the line led does not come on, but that is no problem since it is not in use)

Direct connection to the Mac does not work. Seems that in direct connection I need a crossover cable and I have ordered one. We will see.

What I do not understand is that the printer worked well in its old location, over a hub, using a straight cable, as used here.

Someone hinted that I got my settings wrong, which is quite possible since I do not know anything about settings. Tried everything possible that I found on the web, but I may still be confuserated.

In my other Mac, there was a small printer icon on the desktop, clicking it would allow to choose from a number of figures to connect. i do not have that here. I must certainly be doing something wrong.

Any ideas ?

Thank you,

Takeo.

Reaction score
Have you tried going into System Preferences, "Print & Fax"? If you don't see the printer there, you can click the + symbol and add one.

Reaction score
Dear Murdaich,

Yes, I have done that, but the little printer icon stays dull. Obviously, the Mac does not 'see" the printer.

Thank you for your reply,

sincerely,

Takeo.

Have you tried going into System Preferences, "Print & Fax"? If you don't see the printer there, you can click the + symbol and add one.

Ask a Question