Kernel Panics on iBook G4

Reaction score
This morning when I went on my computer, I had to restart (which I must do at least once every morning, but I've gotten used to that) Only this time when I rebooted something different happened.

Everytime I got to the grey startup screen with the Apple logo on it, my screen got darker, it said alot of text about 'kernels' and said I had to restart.

Usually when I have kernel panics I go into single user mode and type 'fsck-y' and it usually works again. But this time the kernels happen so early in the booting-up that I don't even have time to press Command-S.

I looked up further information on the internet and found that holding down Option-Command-Shift-O-F stopped the computer from crashing and allowed me to get into single user mode.

When in single user mode, it wouldn't let me type anything but appeared to be fsck-ing anyway.

After that it booted up as normal but when i get back into my profile it crashes again. Right now I'm logged into a different account and its working ok.

Does anyone now what on earth is going on and does anyone know of a way to resolve this problem?

Additional Information: My Laptop is a iBook G4.
Mac OS X 10.2.11
It has a PowerPC prcessor

Ask a Question