iTunes has found purchased items

Reaction score
Every time I start up iTunes, I get the following message:
iTunes has found purchased items on the iPhone “iPhone (Howard Brazee's)” that are not present in your iTunes library. Do you want to transfer these items from this iPhone back to your iTunes library?

I take turns saying "Don't Transfer" and "Transfer", every time I start up iTunes. (I do not check "Do not ask me again", as I want to find out what item is the hold up)

Googling I found some suggestions, but nothing that solved my issue.

I have nothing showing up in iTunes under app store/my purchases/not in my library.

In iTunes, when I select File/Devices, all options are grayed out.

This has been happening this time for a couple of weeks without me being able to find what it's looking for.

Reaction score
I went to iTunes and unchecked Sync Music on my iPhone. After synchronizing and restarting iTunes, the error was gone. I checked that again (it takes a long time to load all of my 30 GB of songs (probably because I compress them)), and started iTunes again. The error is back.

So the problem is one or more songs. I looked at "Recently Added" on my phone and saw an album I had loaded in iTunes. Then I looked on iTunes and saw the same album - and a TV screen. Ahh, it was a mp4 I added to iTunes. It doesn't show up when I click on the TV screen in iTunes, but it is on my iPhone in the videos app. I don't know if this is my problem though (why doesn't iTunes see it as a video?)

But the error says the song is on my phone, not on my computer. How in the world do I find it - and if I find it, what do I do next?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello.

In the iTunes Store section of iTunes, you could try going to the Purchased > Music section, click on Not in My Library, and click the Download All button in the lower right corner. That will ensure that iTunes has a copy of all purchases in your library and should prevent the error.

The MP4 file could be a tagged as a music video, which would then be listed in the Music section in iTunes, not Movies or TV Shows.

Let us know if that helps,

C

Reaction score
When I go to Purchased > Music > Not in My Library, the screen shows "You do not have any purchased music available to download", and nothing is on the bottom right corner. I do see that I have some unloaded TV shows (a season of Game of Thrones), but all other selections show nothing.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
-Are you signed into the iTunes Store?
-Are you using the same Apple ID on the iPhone and iTunes on the Mac?

C

Reaction score
I use the same ID when I use the App store on my phone that I have logged into iTunes.

I wish I had one address for everything Apple. I used to have an iTunes account that was just my name, then Apple changed the requirement, when it took some work, but got it switched to my e-mail address. Later on, I needed an iCloud account (for Find My Friends), and was told I couldn't convert my iTunes purchases to that account.

Reaction score
It happened again. Now I have Apple Music because I have a HomePod and couldn't get it to work right without it. I found 8 songs "Not In My Library" which I have never heard of and don't want. The lower right hand corner shows a checked "Download in HD when available", but no "Download All" button.

Reaction score
Ahh, the albums had a download icon on them. I selected them, restarted iTunes and didn't get my error. I'd rather have deleted the songs, as I never ordered them and don't want them. But restarting iTunes I didn't get the error. Storing 8 songs I don't want is an acceptable price to pay.

Reaction score
That worked yesterday. Today, there are no songs in "Account/Family Purchased/Not in My Library", but the message was back twice before it cleared up. I have no idea why iTunes thinks I have songs. I certainly have never added songs on my iPad, except by adding them to my Mac's iTunes.

Reaction score
I now have the same ID on my iPad's music, iMac's iTunes, and my iPhone's Music. On my iPad I had a copy of my "Unplayed" smart playlist called "Unplayed 1", which I deleted. On my iPhone, I have two duplicated "Practice" playlists named "Practice 1" and "Practice2". But when I look at my devices in iTunes on my Mac, I don't see these duplicated folders.

I wanted an album on my iPad for our singing group, so I decided to use my Apple Music for something other than connecting my HomePod to my iTunes. I downloaded it to my iTunes, and moved the songs to a folder that already had one song in it. Half of the songs were greyed out as unavailable, so I deleted them. In iTunes, I have the cloud next to that playlist saying "The playlist “Sound of Music” can’t be added to your iCloud Music Library." "iCloud Music Library playlists can only include music from your iCloud Music Library. This playlist can’t be uploaded because it includes other media kinds or songs that are not eligible.". Checking the songs in it, the song that I purchased is "Matched", all of the others have an iCloud status of "Apple Music".

Both of those statuses should be valid. I rebooted my computer, and I updated my music library - but can't get those songs to my iPad.

Reaction score
I talked to Apple Support the other day, because the playlists that I see on my iPad and iPhone are not quite the same as what I see when I look at my iPad and iPhone from within iTunes on my Mac under "devices".

They got me to change my old iTunes AppleID to my .mac AppleID, and walked me through making sure they were the same, and assured that would solve my problem. It didn't.

Reaction score
Interesting. I created a test playlist, copied every song from the playlist that failed, and the test playlist doesn't have that error!!!

Reaction score
Interesting. I created a test playlist, copied every song from the playlist that failed, and the test playlist doesn't have that error!!!
A playlist that was working had that cloud again. So I repeated the process, creating a new playlist, copying all of the songs to the new playlist, deleting the old playlist, and renaming the new one. I hope I don't need to go through this process often. (Twice in two days is excessive)

Ask a Question