Is my Time Machine drive failing?

Reaction score
I got this message when I tried repairing my Time Machine external hard drive. “Disk utility can't repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk and restore your backed-up files.” I can’t even think of formatting this drive. It has all my backup files & folders. Help needed!!

Reaction score
My first thought is that your Time Machine disk is corrupt. Unfortunately disk utility gives that message when your disk is beyond its repair. If you format the drive it may fix your disk but you will end up loosing all files from the drive. Erasing the hard disk drive remove corrupt file structure and creates another healthy file structure.I will suggest you repair this hard drive. I can recommend you couple of disk repair tools for Mac.

Stellar Volume Optimizer ($49)
Disk Warrior ($99)

Both of the above software repair or replaces corrupt directory structure without causing any harm to the drive. You may take free analysis of the software through its trial version. If nothing works then you might have to go for data recovery but I suggest you try with repairing the drive.

Ask a Question