Intractable spinning beach ball of death.

Reaction score
A few months ago my fiance slammed my 2008 15in macbook pro shut. It worked ok immediately after the trauma but then, the sbbod. I couldn't do anything. It was completely frozen so I had to completely shut off the computer and when i turned it back on, grey screen of death. I had to wait a few months to even attempt to get it fixed as money was THAT tight at the time. I finally took it in about a month ago to be fixed at an apple place (idoctors) I now know was totally clueless. At first they said hard drive but they put a new hard drive in to no avail. It finally booted up but it was acting possessed (spitting cd's out at me and moving extreeeeemely slow, not shutting down all the way.) So I took it back in and they tried a hard drive 2 more times before they finally said it was unrepairable due to faulty processor on logic board. I was out 80 bucks but I wasn't going to give up.

So I took it to another computer place. They said hard drive too. Only this time they said it was some corrupted files that needed repairing which was great. I didn't have to buy a new hard drive! Of course, not that simple. I get it back and it's finally booting up and running...but only for a short time. Then I get the beach ball. It's not totally frozen in that I can still move the cursor around but I can't do anything. At times the ball would resolve after a few seconds at other times it would never go away and I couldn't even force quit. I just had to completely shut it down. But I could at least turn it back on so that was something. They tried one more time and it got better but it was still doing it. So finally they put in a brand new 500gb hard drive. Which is excessive for me really, but I don't care. By this point I just want it over with. But of course, it's NOT.

It is about 20x better than its initial condition but it's still not right. Most of the time it runs ok but at times, if I even try to tab in safari, I'll get the beach ball for a few seconds. Once or twice it lasted 30 seconds to a full minute. It also froze into perpetual buffering when i was watching a video about 30 minutes ago. And even as I'm typing this now the text lags some times. It doesn't take much work at all to turn my computer retarded. I am not computer savvy at all. I know nothing about the inner workings of machines such as this. However, I'm at a loss at to what to do next because, from what I DO know, it seems like a hard drive issue to me. I could probably live with it in it's current condition but I don't want to. It's frustrating always wondering if that next pinwheel is going to be the one that forces me shut my computer down. What the hell is wrong with this thing that even with a brand new hard drive it's just not right? I've put 300 dollars and a lot of emotion into getting this thing fixed and yet, the damn beach ball prevails.

Sorry this was so long. I'm just beyond frustrated. Thanks.

Lindsey.

Reaction score
Open Utilities > Activity Monitor and see if there is anything there taking up lots of CPU time.

Also check your Utilities > Console and see if there is anything logging errors or calls for help.

Reaction score
Hi. Well, as I said I am not computer savvy and by that I mean damn near tech illiterate. At least when it comes to Mac. I love my mac but i never became as familiar with it as I did with PCs. So bear with me please! I don't even really know how to read the activity monitor as in I don't know what it all means. Idle% is around 97. Does that mean anything? lol. Threads 352, processes 85ish? And as for console, i wouldn't even be able to tell you if there were any calls for help or logging errors. I'm looking at it and it may as well be hieroglyphs. I'm as retarded as my computer is right now.

Reaction score
I'm seeing lots of errors for pluginprocess and the words invalid context a lot. Also initdriver call failed. Lots of failures errors and invalid contexts.

Reaction score
You know how to sort a column by clicking on the header?
In Activity Monitor click on the CPU header and sort the highest to the top, anything hogging the CPU?

With the Console Window open do your normal stuff and see if something starts putting lots of messages into the Console, especially when BBing

Reaction score
OK, at the start of the Line it will tell you the Process that is logging those errors.

Ask a Question