Internal Mac SE drive won't recognize disks

Discussion in 'Mac OS 9 and earlier' started by Punkyclown, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Punkyclown

Punkyclown New Member

Hi All, the internal drive in my Mac SE would not eject the disk even though it did load the system no problem. So I removed it and bought the gear(s) online I needed to fix it. I replaced the gear and now my drive ejects with no problem (I feel good). But now when I start my SE and insert a disk in the internal drive all that happens is after a few seconds it spits out the floppy disk and the screen image shows a X flashing on the floppy icon for a few seconds and then returns to the flashing question mark. If I boot my system from an external floppy drive and then insert a floppy in the internal drive after a few seconds I get a message telling me the disk is not initialized and would I like to. When I say yes it does nothing for a few seconds and then tells me the initialization failed. Is someone familiar with this issue and can they help me?
    Thanks
    Brad Hansen

Punkyclown, Jun 7, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. Punkyclown

Cory Cooper Moderator

Hello again,

It sounds like something happened during the replacement of the gears, since it read disks before the repair. I would try reseating the cables, blow out the head mechanism with canned air, etc.

Let us know if that helps at all.

C

Cory Cooper, Jun 9, 2018
    1. Advertisements

3. Punkyclown

Punkyclown New Member

Hi, all, was unable to get the drive to function correctly. Bought another, quite cheaply on eBay.
    Working well.
    Brad Hansen

Punkyclown, Jun 16, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question