iMovie is not working properly

Reaction score
Hi, I recently updated my iMac intel to 10.4.9 from 10.4.6 (I think) and for some reason iMovie now refuses to work. I have quite a few lengthy films that I have made on it over several years, but none of them will open, I get the "iMovie has quit unexpectedly" error. At first I thought iMovie was out of date so I reinstalled it, nothing. Then I thought that maybe I had downloaded the wrong os update so I made sure I had a combo update and updated it again, still nothing. My next step was going to be reformating and reinstalling os x but I somehow managed to lose the install disk (probably put it in a safe place). If anyone has any ideas it would be great, thanks.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I would create a new User Account and from the old one, pop one of your iMovie files into the newly created User Accounts Drop Box:

MacintoshHD -> Users -> NewUserAccount -> Public -> Drop Box

You'll be presented with a dialog box telling you that you can't view the contents of the Drop Box or something to that effect. Just click OK.

Then go to the new account and launch iMovie then try to open the project that's sitting in your Drop Box.

If it works then there could be a problem with your user account, if it doesn't then we'll have to take it from there.

Reaction score
Good idea, I'll try it as soon as I get to the computer. One thing I forgot to mention is that all the videos are stored on several large external drives, so the Drop Box shouldn't be necessary. Thanks for the advice.

Ask a Question