iMac will not boot properly

Reaction score
Hi, Some time ago, I sent a reconditioned iMac to Nicaragua to a children's photography project. I just learned today that the computer will not boot properly just now. Instead of the apple loco showing on the screen a blue folder icon with a ? mark appears. Can anyone tell me what one could do to try and reboot and get this computer up and running? I appreciate any help I can get. This computer is in a very poor Nicaraguan Fishing Village and the children would love to have access to it again. Thanks.
The computer is running on System version 10.6.8.

Reaction score
It can't find the operating system. Here are a few things to try.
1)
Hold down the option key with one hand and turn on the computer with the other hand all the while holding down the option key. Keep holding down the opt key until you see some icons on the screen. (Shouldn't take more then a minute or so.) The icons will represent the available operating systems. Select the first one with the left and right arrow keys then press return and see if it boots. If not do the same thing again and select 'Recovery' if it is available. This will either work or it won't

2)
Same idea but this time hold down the letter 'T'. When you see a letter T floating around the screen that will mean that you've booted into 'Target mode'. This won't get the computer running but it means there is a good chance that you can hook up another mac computer to it to find out more info or to load another operating system.

This is a trial and error approach to problem solving and it should give you some idea about the condition of the hard drive.

Unless there is someone on site who has some experience with macs it will be difficult to resolve through emails.

All the best.

Reaction score
It can't find the operating system. Here are a few things to try.
1)
Hold down the option key with one hand and turn on the computer with the other hand all the while holding down the option key. Keep holding down the opt key until you see some icons on the screen. (Shouldn't take more then a minute or so.) The icons will represent the available operating systems. Select the first one with the left and right arrow keys then press return and see if it boots. If not do the same thing again and select 'Recovery' if it is available. This will either work or it won't

2)
Same idea but this time hold down the letter 'T'. When you see a letter T floating around the screen that will mean that you've booted into 'Target mode'. This won't get the computer running but it means there is a good chance that you can hook up another mac computer to it to find out more info or to load another operating system.

This is a trial and error approach to problem solving and it should give you some idea about the condition of the hard drive.

Unless there is someone on site who has some experience with macs it will be difficult to resolve through emails.

All the best.
Thanks Michael, I have passed on your suggestions and am awaiting a reply from Nicaragua. I hope this works - There is very minimal support for a Mac user over there!

Ask a Question