iMac fan speed

Reaction score
Hi.

My 2008 iMac 24" has been running the fan at full speed for god knows how long now and I've tried every trick from the apple website on how to fix the problem, none of it worked. Rather weirdly, the other day I happened to look behind my computer and noticed that the power cord wasn't in fully. When I pushed it all the way in, the fan started to reduce in speed, to the point that it is now deadly silent as it was from brand new.

Great I thought to myself, I've fixed the problem, but when I came to use my computer the next day, the fan started up at full speed again. I tried the plug and this time it was in fully so I wiggled it a bit and the fan speed reduced again.

Has anyone come across this before? Do I need to buy a new power cord or something?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Sounds like the Power Supply might now be over heating, I'd take it to a AppleCare Service Centre before you do some real damage. (like burn down your house)

Ask a Question