I must have picked up a virus

Reaction score
Several times now my OS will stall and I get the spinning multi-colored ball and nothing happens. I can't RESTART, and the only way to shut down is to press the startup button and hold it until the computer shuts down.

I have AVAST installed for MAC, and I ran a system check, and AVAST says there are 19 files that it cannot scan, but 0 infections.

What can I do to locate this problem and get rid of it?

I am using:

MacBook Pro 17" 2.53GHz Core i5 (A1297) Mid 2010 MC024LL/A SKU17697 MC024LL/A GS17697

OSX Version 10.6.8 Safari Version 5.1.10 (6534.59.10)

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

It doesn't sound like a virus to me, since it is reporting no infections There may be files that are questionable, as it reported 19, but they may be false positives or Windows executables that won't affect your Mac.

-Are you using Safari or another browser when it hangs?
-How much free space is available on your hard drive?

Many times, the SBOD is caused by low free space or a failing hard drive.

C

Reaction score
I use Safari on the web. I recall once I tried to log on to my computer, even before I got to Safari, I signed in and it hung up right away.

Capacity: 250.66 Gb
Used: 25.04 Gb
Available: 225.62 Gb
Number of files: 469,478

I ran Verify Disk in the Utilities Folder and the Disk seems to be OK. I ran the Repair Disk Permissions, and there was a lot of repairs made. Sometimes it will work well for an hour or so, then suddenly, it will hang, and I get the spinning multi-colored ball, and the only way to get out is to hold the start button down until it shuts down. Then, after a minute or so, I start it up again and go to the Utilities Folder and run the checks again.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Disk Utility is great for performing very basic checks of the drive's catalog hierarchy and volume structure. However, it will not perform a surface scan to identify any physical defects or failing sectors like the third-party utilities Drive Genius or TechTool Pro will. Since you haven't used very much space, and the hangs happen when browsing and when logging in, I still suspect it may be a failing drive or third-party software causing the issue.

Antivirus apps like AVAST have been known to cause hanging in OS X, as do apps like MacKeeper, CleanMyMac, etc. You could try uninstalling AVAST to see if the SBODs clear up. Do you have any other Login Items or apps like those mentioned or Dropbox, Carbonite, Google Drive, etc. running?

That model also had an Apple Repair Extension Program (which has already ended), that addressed things like no video and graphics-related crashing/kernel panics. Not sure if that may be related to your issue or not.

I strongly suggest having an up to date Time Machine or other backup of your data, and possibly visiting an Apple Store to have the hard drive and other hardware fully tested.

C

Reaction score
I have had Avast installed for about 3 years now with no problems. Strange, but I installed CleanMyMac a few weeks ago, and started have the lockup problems. I just uninstalled it, using its own uninstall application to clean it and all of its subs out of the disk. We'll see how it goes.

Reaction score
Just hope using CleanMyMac's uninstaller got everything. You might want to consider downloading and installing the excellent, freeware program AppCleaner, available from here:

https://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/

I've used it a few times, and it works well.

Also, another excellent, venerable, freeware program is Onyx, available from here:

http://www.titanium.free.fr/onyx.html

Note there is a version available for each Mac OS, so if you get it, you have to get the correct one. I have been using Onyx for so many years, and I depend upon it,

Reaction score
I deleted the CleanMyMac app and worked the computer for a few days, and it didn’t help. I, then, deleted the Avast app, and that didn’t help either.

I have purchased a new computer: MacBook Pro Silver. I have files transferred from my older MacBook Pro to a Kingston stick, which I have plugged into a USB port on the new computer. I can open the stick, but can’t seem to transfer the files from it onto my new computer. What am I missing?

Reaction score
Let me clarify that: I can access individual files from the stick on the new computer, but I can't move the whole file folder onto the new computer.

Reaction score
I ordered the new MacBook Pro Silver 15” with Sierra from MacMall. I also ordered Microsoft Office Home & Student, and I ordered a security software. I thought I was going to get Norton, but they sent Trend Micro. I haven’t installed the Trend Micro, but I have read some articles online about it and I’m wondering if this is a good security system to install on the new Mac.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasb...curity-exposed-200-flaws-hacked/#6fb6ad3b55d6

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello again,

-How did you transfer your files to the Kingston?
-What files and how are you trying to move them to the new MBP?
-Actually, I wouldn't use either Norton or Trend Micro security software. They are really more hassle than they are worth, and they are not needed.

C

Reaction score
Yeah, Cory is (as usual!) correct about not really needing any virus software. Just follow the usual sane advice:

1. Never open unknown attachments to EMails.
2. When browsing, do not click on anything nefarious and/or suspicious.
3. Visit only reputable sites.
4. Perform periodic disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs. There are some excellent freeware and commercial products that can help you with that.
5. Download, install, and occasionally run the excellent freeware program Malwarebytes, available from here:

https://www.malwarebytes.com/

6. In the past, Cory has recommended (if really needed) the excellent program ClamXav, available from here:

https://www.clamxav.com/

I used to use it when it was free, and it worked real good. But as Cory stated, most likely you won't need it.

Reaction score
Hello again,

-How did you transfer your files to the Kingston?
-What files and how are you trying to move them to the new MBP?
-Actually, I wouldn't use either Norton or Trend Micro security software. They are really more hassle than they are worth, and they are not needed.

C
I finally found a way to transfer the files I wanted. It is taking longer this way, but I can sort out old files that I no longer have any use for that I have collected over time, and get rid of them. I can put them into new folders on the new computer. I have to load old files rather swiftly from the old computer before it locks up, or I have to do it over again.

One of my hobbies is collecting timely news articles from various news sites, formatting a discussion presentation, and then going onto political message boards and discussing with others concerning these. Some really hot discussions ensue.

Ask a Question