Hub

Reaction score
Dear Helpers

I have a MacBook Air equipped with a USB-multiport cable which allows me to connect a HDMI and a USB cable to the MBA.
But I want more USB connexions so I connected to that USB port a very oldfashioned USB hub to which I connect the USB connectors of my mouse and the time machine. It works.
Today I bought a 1TB external harddisk, but that one does not work when connected the old hub but only when connected directly to the USB port on the multiport cable. So I have to disconnect the old hub. No place for Time machine etc. anymore. Inconvenient!

Should I get a better hub? And what type?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

Dirk

Reaction score
Dear Helpers

I have a MacBook Air equipped with a USB-multiport cable which allows me to connect a HDMI and a USB cable to the MBA.
But I want more USB connexions so I connected to that USB port a very oldfashioned USB hub to which I connect the USB connectors of my mouse and the time machine. It works.
Today I bought a 1TB external harddisk, but that one does not work when connected the old hub but only when connected directly to the USB port on the multiport cable. So I have to disconnect the old hub. No place for Time machine etc. anymore. Inconvenient!

Should I get a better hub? And what type?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

Dirk
You definitely need a powered USB hub and Amazon carries a number of them. Maybe narrow your search to USB 3.1 units for better speeds if your system will allow it. Not sure if your MB Air model has USB 3.1.

You can check out the features, reviews, and prices so you can make an informed choice. They also have a liberal return policy, in case your purchase does not work out well for you.

Ask a Question