How to copy a audio cassette to a Mac Air?

Reaction score
I have a MacAir with Mojave 10.14.5 and I am trying to copy a mini cassette audio tape to the computer but the Mac Air only has a headphone jack so I am trying to use a TRRS adaptor but regardless of what I do, the MacAir doesn't show a choice for an external mic or line in to use. I would appreciate any assistance.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Reaction score
Thank you for taking the time to assist but I looked at the item you suggested and it has the red and white cords but all my cassette (mini) has is one headphone and one mic port

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

Sounds like a dictation cassette recorder then? If so, you can get a 1/8" phone to RCA cable to plug into the headphone jack.

What brand/model is the cassette recorder? May help recommending other solutions.

C

Reaction score
I looked closer and I see where there is a headphone port -- so I would just need to use a male to male headphone cord extender and put one end in the cassette headphone port and one into that devise's headphone port... then plug the devices usb into the computer??? What is the monitor switch for ?? Does it need to be on or off?? I notice a volume knob.. so does that have to be at a certain level to record it or do you use the volume control on the cassette... and how do I know it is being received at the necessary volume?? I really appreciate your time and assistance. I just don't want to keep buying connectors that may not work..

Reaction score
No worries.

Sounds like a dictation cassette recorder then? If so, you can get a 1/8" phone to RCA cable to plug into the headphone jack.

What brand/model is the cassette recorder? May help recommending other solutions.

C
It is a Craig mini recorder and it has the voices of my children 30 years later.... when they were cute.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No, the headphone port on the device is for monitoring the sound coming into it from the RCA jacks. It is a headphone out port, not input. The Monitor button enables you to hear via that headphone port. The volume adjust the headphone level. It is a line-level device, so it passes whatever volume that is input to the USB output to the computer.

Here is the website for the device, that has a video and a manual you can look at: Behringer UCA202

Most of those old Craig recorders have a 1/8" headphone output jack.

C

Reaction score
No, the headphone port on the device is for monitoring the sound coming into it from the RCA jacks. It is a headphone out port, not input. The Monitor button enables you to hear via that headphone port. The volume adjust the headphone level. It is a line-level device, so it passes whatever volume that is input to the USB output to the computer.

Here is the website for the device, that has a video and a manual you can look at: Behringer UCA202

Most of those old Craig recorders have a 1/8" headphone output jack.

C
This devise has a regular headphone jack..not one of those big headphone jacks... it is little.

Reaction score
I am also trying to copy VHS tapes and bought an Elgato capture devise that has usb on one side and those white, yellow, red connectors on the other side.... sounds like the same device you are talking about.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
The small headphone jack is a 1/8" phone or 3.5mm. Regular size headphones jacks are 1/4" phone.

Yes, the Elgato may work for audio only, if you get the correct audio cable. Not sure if GarageBand would recognize the Elgato though.

AmazonBasics 3.5mm to 2-Male RCA Adapter Audio Stereo Cable - 4 Feet

The Craig may be mono and not stereo recording, so you may only get sound in the left channel.

Don;t you wish this were easier? ;)

C

Reaction score
I bought the Elgato devise for the video cassette coping only. I bought the TRRS adaptor cord for the cassettes to be copied. I have watched YouTube videos that shows how it works.. but it won't for me... likely I am not plugging the right cord in the right place in the right order. They got it to work.. I just don't know some things like.....1.Do I plug the earphone from the cassette to the earphone or mic plug.. I tried both... 2. Don't know if something needs to be in the second cord (mic) .... both these cords go into one cord that plugs into the Mac Air headphone hole. The cord has a note on it to plug in the connect adapter to headset first.. ..so I did.... I am thinking it needs something plugged into the mic plug on the adapter cord.. that has a ring on it that makes the Mac think everything is complete... but I am not sure what I need to plug into the mic plug on the adaptor -- I tried a earphone jack but I think that may not have worked because the rings on the plug are all in the same positions... I have an apple earphones but wonder if that would take what its mic is taking in instead of what is on the cassette.... I am stuck.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Which Elgato device?

The MBA headphone port cannot be used for this.

Craig headphine > Elgato yellow/red > Eglato USB > MacBook Air USB

Do you have a link to the video that you said worked?

The more information about model numbers and/or photos will help.

C

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, that's a MacBook Pro, of which models from 2012 and earlier have an audio input jack or TRRS jack. MacBook Airs only have a headphone jack (out), not an audio input.

C

Reaction score
AND... would this setup work if I wanted to use an external microphone for another project?

OH, I see what I put up on the previous message IS the same cord you referred me to earlier... sorry.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

-Correct...TRRS won't work on a MacBook AIr.
-That cable is a stereo cable, left & right track, but it depends on the Craig's headphone output.
-You could try the Elgato with that cable.
-An external microphone would require a different setup, depending on what type of microphone you would be using.

Do you have an Apple Store near you? It may be easier to discuss in person, where they sell some of the products you may need, and you can see the connections first-hand.

C

Reaction score
I wish I had an Apple store nearby... 100 miles away.... live in boonies. However, thank you so very much for sharing your expertise.

IF I were to test it (not sure which cable you are referring to) out on the Elgato what connecting cable would I use? The Craigs mini cassette only has a headphone and mic plug and the Elgato has the yellow, white, red and another big white squarish looking plug.

When and if I plan to invest in a microphone, I will check back on the forum.

Ask a Question