How to burn Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard.dmg file?

Reaction score
Hi,
I have the Leopard disk as a dmg file (6GB+) and I want to burn it into a D L disk so that i can install it on my MacBook Pro.
Does anyone know how to burn it to make it as an Bootable/installation dvd?
Extracting files from dmg and double clicking on the leopard icon does not work, it only restart the computer and just comes back to tiger.
Im very new to MAC, dont know much,

Thanx in advance for any help.

Reaction score
Hi,
I have the Leopard disk as a dmg file (6GB+) and I want to burn it into a D L disk so that i can install it on my MacBook Pro.
Does anyone know how to burn it to make it as an Bootable/installation dvd?
Extracting files from dmg and double clicking on the leopard icon does not work, it only restart the computer and just comes back to tiger.
Im very new to MAC, dont know much,

Thanx in advance for any help.

Hello, you should be able to use Disk Utility to burn the DMG. Disk Utility is located in the Utilities folder in your Application's folder.

Reaction score
Hi Walrus666,
I have now burned it to DL DVD using UltraIso on windows pc, the dmg file burned to disk succesfully and I could boot from the leopard install dvd, but now I have another problem, I erased the systemHD on MACBookPro so I could make a fresh Leopard install, now I cant start my MAC :( only what I see is the question mark on start up, what to do now?

thanx for any help in advance.

Reaction score
Hi Walrus666,
I have now burned it to DL DVD using UltraIso on windows pc, the dmg file burned to disk succesfully and I could boot from the leopard install dvd, but now I have another problem, I erased the systemHD on MACBookPro so I could make a fresh Leopard install, now I cant start my MAC :( only what I see is the question mark on start up, what to do now?

Hello, if you erased the hard drive, there's nothing to start up. Next step is to install Leopard.

Reaction score
Hi again, yes I know and I want to take the next step, I have the Leopard install dvd, nothing happen when I boot from the dvd holding C key.

Reaction score
Hi again, yes I know and I want to take the next step, I have the Leopard install dvd, nothing happen when I boot from the dvd holding C key.

Hopefully the DVD is good. Did you hold the "C" key down until you saw the spinning gear on the screen?

Reaction score
hey! i found out that insted of burning your .dmg leopard disk onto a disk you can restore it on an ipod or a external HDD

and once you have done that all you do is turn on your laptop
hold down ALT
wait for every thing to load then instert the leopard restore start up, its faster than a disk and less noisey ;) i have made instructions on how to do it on youtube heres the link

youtube.com/watch?v=m0tmkFOzPI4

Reaction score
Hi Mattgoan,
I have no ipod or external driver, I tried to restore et on another partition and install it but it still says that this software cannot be installed on this computer...

currently i have no OS installed on my macbookpro when I reboot I see the quistionmark, but when I boot it from leopard dvd or partion with leopard I see leopard installer but after sellecting the language I get the popup that this software cannot be installed on this computer....

I have no install/restore disks, any suggestion?

thanx for the VTC

karazelle

Reaction score
It sounds like the DMG you have belongs to a DVD that got bundled with a Mac of another type than yours.

Apple sells MacOS X in two editions basically. One is the retail that comes in the box in the store. The other is "OEM" which is bundled as part of a computer purchase and is tied to that specific computer, usually because of a particular software bundle or that the model has special stuff that was/isn't part of the release OS.
Apple only supplies DMG/ISOs of the OS as a download through its Apple Developer program. You need to sign an NDA to join the program and it costs a not insignificant amount of money per year.

If you cannot boot of the original MacOS X Leopard DVD, its likely you have an issue with the optical drive. It definitely should be able to boot of that and that makes it less likely a burned disc would work. The process really IS as simple as: Burn DMG to DVD DL using Disk Utility or Toast, boot pressing C. If that doesn't work then there is an issue with the DMG, the DL disk or the optical drive.

I suggest you go to your store or contact Apple Support to get a replacement disk for your system. In a worst case scenario restore the old system from the original supplied disks that came with your system to at least make it workable again.

Reaction score
Hi There,
Thanx for your advice, problem solved.
The problem was the partition, I repartioned it and now it boots and installs from both DVDs my copy dmg and the original dvd works and its so easy to install Leopard, I have never before used MAC so I did not anything. :)

Thanx
Regards

Reaction score
Hi There,
Thanx for your advice, problem solved.
The problem was the partition, I repartioned it and now it boots and installs from both DVDs my copy dmg and the original dvd works and its so easy to install Leopard, I have never before used MAC so I did not anything. :)

Thanx
Regards

You repartioned it? What did you do when your there I've very lost.

Reaction score
Hi Walrus666,

hi im a mac newbie as well may i ask how you erased the disk drive, odds are u have a non HSF+ Partition
excerpt ( HFS+This is the principal file system of Mac OS X. It is a journalled, relatively modern file system that supports POSIX permissions, and features at least limited automatic defragmenting of files. Mac OS X is capable of mounting these volumes for reading and writing, and has full capabilities to utilize them. Mac OS X systems can also only boot from hard disks formatted in this system (as well as boot-able optical media). )

boot from the osx disk and try using disk utility to format the drive first
this is how i recovered a mac some dodo installed windows 7 on bloody heresy

Ask a Question