Grey Screen

Reaction score
Had this G4 Powermac for almost a year now.

ORiginally bought it on eBay with 10.4 installed.

I wanted to use some Classic applications, but it didn't come with a restore disc or a Classic system folder like the iBook I used to own.

So I got the software install and restore discs from my dad's old iMacs and tried to boot from the CD.

That didn't work, so I used my software install discs from my iBook, and the process wouldn't recognize one of the discs.

Long story short, I switched my startup disc to a Classic folder I found in the list, and now I have a grey screen.

I've tried several keystrokes during startup (X, D, Cmd + V, Cmd + S, Option, Spacebar, Shift+Option+Cmd+Del, T, N, R) and so far the only thing that works is holding C when I have the System Install Disc in for OS 10. That screen, however, looks like the resolution was turned way down so that it's only black and white, and everything is pretty much unreadable and fragmented.

I don't want to reinstall an older version because I have a lot of software that's 10.4+ only! Also, I use this computer for work, so I'm losing hours trying to solve this problem.

Anyone know how to switch the startup disk another way? :confused:

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Does your G4 have Firewire? The reason I'm asking is that you can connect your G4 (if it's compatible) to another Firewire Mac and use Target Disc Mode Link to reset the Startup Disc ....

That's all I can think of at the moment but I'll look around for more clues ...

Ask a Question