Grey Screen on Boot

Reaction score
I have an Early 2011 17" MBP
I have swapped out the DVD drive for an HDD bay.
When I first did this I moved the HDD to the bay and installed the SSD drive.

os is on the ssd and has been for over a year, i only have bootcamp and a storage partition on the new drive, which is a complete clone of the old hdd with bootcamp and storage (used paragon)

I got a larger HDD and since installing it I get a grey screen with my mouse on boot. And Drive utility doesnt seem to want to detect the new drive, but any time I usb the drive or put it in another computer it is fine so I dont believe the drive is defective. But if I remove it and use just the ssd I am ok and if I replace the old 500gb hdd it is ok so something weird is going on.

im just trying to swap out the 500gb drive for a 1tb drive so i shouldnt be running into issues like this

I have tried manually selecting boot from the ssd (hold down option...) and its the same result

I got a larger HDD and since installing it I get a grey screen with my mouse on boot. And Drive utility doesnt seem to want to detect the new drive, but any time I usb the drive or put it in another computer it is fine so I dont believe the drive is defective. But if I remove it and use just the ssd I am ok and if I replace the old 500gb hdd it is ok so something weird is going on.

I have tried safe boot with the same results, I have reset the pram and I have run a repair installation of osx 10.8

I have also verified permissions and run a repair.

Is it possible that the mac simply hates detecting this new hard drive or tht apple is locking the firmware to control which drives can be used (this hasnt happened with either of the SSD i have installed though)

any help is appreciated

Ask a Question