Go

Ric

Reaction score
Re: Tiger/iChat

Thank's, have no confirmed dates, will let you know, when I know !

Yes , thats the same one. I bought it when it first came out. I'm not sure but I think that whilst it is usb2 compatible it isn't usb2 'speed', if you know what I mean.

Will have to have a look around and see what's available, her PC also has Firewire.

Regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score

Finally...Have successfully chatted video and audio with parents...

Not sure whether it's best to tell you what I have or have not tried !!

Their setup, PC P4 chip...3months old all the bells and whistles.

Have just sent them up a Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000...about the best spec I could find !

After trying for days AIM, was a complete waste of time, even with opening all the ports...removing all the Firewalls and doing everything that everyone else in the whole wide world has tried !!!!

Had parents remove AIM off their PC. And then downloaded Trillian, don't ask me how I got to Trillian...must have Googled for hours !!

Cost's $25, but at this stage I was prepared to go and buy a MacMini (upgrade it's RAM, an iSight Camera) and then have a 7 hour round trip drive to install it !!!!

Because if I added up the time trying to sort it out it would probably have been cheaper !

Anyway, reset the Firewall's all back on. Loaded up Trillian on Parents PC, fired up iChatAV on my Mac...and low and behold we have lift off !!!

Right, so hows it done !

Well, fortunately both my Parents Router/Modem and mine are both uPnP (this is a little bit of magic...if you have no idea about networks, Firewalls and the like then make sure you have software and hardware that 'is' uPnP enabled !)

Even if you 'know' what you are doing uPnP makes life a lot easier !

Anyway, in simple terms if your Software and Hardware is uPnP aware then, everything is plug and play, just like iChat on your Mac.

No messing with the Firewall's, uPnP devices opn the necessary ports when needed.

Picture from Parents is not great but is certainly acceptable...Sisters iSight is arriving in the next few days, so that should be a 'nice' install !

Anyone need any help iChatting to a PC, let me know and I'm sure between Cory and myself we'll get you going.

Ric

Reaction score

Spoke toooo soon, bl@£$@£ thing's broke again.

Had a quick go earlier today, video straight up-no audio, so told parents to reboot...now back to square one...user Ric did not respond.

I am shortly going to have no hair !!

At least Brother-in-laws iSight has arrived today, lets hope that will be plug and play !!!

Ric

Reaction score

As expected..iSight worked out of the box, can now video chat to Sister et al.

Parents cam now working again, no settings changed, just working !? Gotta love PC's...

Ric

Reaction score

Never ending...Sister's G5 on Panther will not talk to PC !!!

Have ordered upgrade to Tiger for her !!!

Parents PC seems to connect up 90% of the time, still get the odd "user did not respond" messages...

...I am sure that some where down the line ISP's are from time to time blocking ports to stop video chats etc ! Just when it gets really busy !

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
I doubt they are blocking...probably upgrading/replacing equipment, which will cause the issues you are experiencing.

C

Ric

Reaction score

Hmmm paranoia creeping in !

90% off the time I get through to them now, but always get through to Sister on iChat...

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
If those are your stats...it's just an Internet load issue. I bet you try the chats during peak hours - late afternoon/early evening most of the time?

C

Ric

Reaction score

Yes I think you're right.

That's what I've been telling the folks...when we can't get through Internet must be busy...normally at peak times !!

regards

Ric