Go

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Anyone here having issues with video/audio chat in iChat 3 (Tiger)?

Ever since I upgraded, I cannot initiate or accept an invitation to a video chat. I get an insufficent bandwidth error...

As if!!! My connection is 6000/768. I can startup in 10.3.9 and video/audio chat all I want with iChat 2, but if I restart in Tiger, no go.

Strange,

Cory

Ric

Reaction score
Re: Tiger/iChat

Funny you should mention that, but now I have outsourced all my web sites and 'freed' up my home Internet connection I have just started to investigate the potential of iChat, so that I can 'video conference' with family members...

I am in the process of trying to work out what to do...

....have got myself an AIM name, of down to Applestore tomorrow to get an iSight what next do you need to open any incoming ports for iChat to work ?

regards

Ric

Cory Cooper said:
insufficent bandwidth error...

As if!!! My connection is 6000/768. I can startup in 10.3.9 and video/audio chat all I want with iChat 2, but if I restart in Tiger, no go.

Strange,

Cory

Nothing to do with the Quicktime settings is it ?

Normally defaults back to a slow speed after a new install ?

Attachments

• Picture 5.png
    Picture 5.png
    52.3 KB · Views: 528
  • Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    94.6 KB · Views: 495

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Just plug in your iSight, turn it on, and iChat should open and login.

No, nothing with QT...mine is set correctly...actually, tried every setting in there.

C

Ric

Reaction score

Well, iSight plugged in, works, no bandwidth problems here ?

Just need to set up Parents webcam now...

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
I think it has to do with a sporadic bug in Tiger and my ISP. Many users in the States that have Comcast as their provider ae having this issue as well.

Glad it's working for you. We'll have to chat sometime when my issues get resolved.

C

Ric

Reaction score

Had a quick try connecting to Parents via their PC, but no joy...text worked but video was a no no...

will investigate further tomorrow, according to Apple KB there are certain ports that I need to open ?

Will open up ports tomorrow and let you know how I get on !

Ric

Reaction score

Ill be changing ports today...had to do a bit of jiggery pokery to get the iSight to work with my old Laptop, under spec according to the box ! (G3 500mhz, min req G3 600mhz !

I had to add this software to iChat, so that it would 'see' the iSight...

Ric

Reaction score

Well I don't think it is a port issue, more a Mac (iChat AV) talking to Win Xp (Aim) problem...

so far tried...

Text (typing) chat works both ways...both can see, and interact, this is done without altering either firewall.

iChat tries to initiate a one way video chat - no joy, Pc gives various errors - some saying that it is a firewall issue ! Can't try the otherway yet parents webcam is to be updated !

Hardware firewall turned off on both Mac and PC, still the same errors. Firewall on Mac (software off) firewall on PC (software off)...still no joy !

If I point iChat at the 'secret?' AIM web bot "appleu3test02", then iChat fires up looks like everything is working-without changing any firewall settings ?

off googling for info !

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Well, mine will not work at all for video/audio in Tiger. Test works fine. If I fire up Panther, all work fine.

Maybe I will try it with Tiger on my new Mac mini...

C

Ric

Reaction score

hmm a new mini did you say ! Is it nice ?

Is it for anything special ? Or just an addition...hmmm am I being nosey ?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Yes, a new mini. I had to buy Macromedia Studio MX 2004 w/Flash Pro, and there is currently a $600 USD rebate thru the Apple Store, so I figured I would get a FREE mini with the rebate!

1.25GHz G4
1GB RAM
40 GB 5400rpm Seagate HD
Combo Drive
No BT/AirPort

I got it to use for my hosting company as a backup DNS/Mail server. Am going to colocate it in different facility than my Xserve.

Not a bad deal, huh? It's VERY cool. Might buy another for here too! Very quiet and very quick.

C

Ric

Reaction score

Sounds very nice, I am currently tempted to buy one of the new G5 iMac's, any thoughts ?

A kitchen machine, something for the whole family to use ! Throw an iSight on it in the kitchen for when the 'Grandparents' want to chat

They're very nice people at Macromedia, I spoke to them yesterday and transferred a Dreamweaver MX license from a PC to a Mac..."The lady said - you can only transfer between platforms once, are you sure you want to go from a PC to a Mac !"

You can imagine my response...

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
I love those new G5 iMacs. They are really sweet. A few folks at the G5 Owners Support Group have been talking about them overheating and burning the logic board up. Might want to investigate that a little. Most don't have problems though. Would be a great fit for a kitchen.

I would think you said yes to the Macromedia woman?!!! Hee hee. DUH! I did that a long time ago with a QuarkXPress license. I really like Dreamweaver...although, I just got my upgrade to Adobe CS2 Premium today, so I willl have to compare it to GoLive CS2.

C

Ric

Reaction score

Still trying to convince myself that 'we' really need another computer...head is finding it hard to justify spending ££££'s for a 2 year old to learn on !

Well, we've got to get him on a Mac early ! He already plays on my laptop, he can't quite get the trackpad though, but he clicks when I tell him !!!

I checked the Adobe website the other day but the CS2 'demo' hadn't been upped yet, I will give it a 'trial', be interesting to see what happens now Macromedia and Adobe are one !

...have the space in the kitchen reserved just in case !

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Update:

For no apparent reason - no changes here on my end - video, audio, and text chat all work for me in Tiger!!! Just happened to get an invite from my uncle this evening, accepted it "just to see" and it worked!

How cool the three and four-way chats are!

Guess I don't have to keep waiting for 10.4.2!

Cheers,

C

Ric

Reaction score

Very good...Have only played with it internally.

...Sister now has broadband so I hope to sort out same with her. I'll have to sort out Mother's PC next time I visit. (In the long run probably cheaper time and effort just to put in a Mini for her, LOL)

You never no 'iChat' might get released for Windows and save incompatibility problems...or if Leopard runs on x86, job done !

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Well Ric,

After all the "extensive" troubleshooting and configuration testing I have performed for this, I could surely be of help to you. :)

I succssfully setup my father's PC (Dell/WinXP Pro/Logitech Orbit cam/using AIM) and can chat with him. Thing that sucks...the PC-side of chatting is not near the quality or speed that the Mac-side is.

We should hookup and have chat sometime as well. Would be kinda cool.

Cheers,

C

Ric

Reaction score

Thanks,

Have another week to go of my Florence Nightingale job...

...then back to my other work !

Then must make a decision on my new Mac(s). Once that is in place we'll have to fire up iChatAV...

Anytips on the Win XP side appreciated. Not too worried about it though, it's just hard to do remotely...instucting the Parents on what to do !!

I need to get them a new camera, the only one they have is an old QuickCam VC, which was attached to my Dad's b/w G3. Mothers PC has Usb2 so thats probably the way I will go !

Should be a lot easier, when I next visit them in about 3 weeks time.

Maybe I can do a test chat from there once it's set up ?

The Orbit Cam? is that the one on a stick that moves round, I have one somewhere but it's called a Sphere (UK model) (only usb basic though I think?)

regards

Ric

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Cool.

Would be much easier to do when you are there than remotely...depending on their config.

Yes, Logitech Sphere (Orbit in US). Here is the UK version of the cam my father has:

Logitech - Sphere

It's USB 2.0 & 1.1.

We could do a chat while you are there...just let me know the day(s).

C