Giving 'Numbers' a chance, by accident.

Lufbrarunner

Reaction score
As a long time Excel user I found that Numbers was a little limiting, however, by accident I find myself leaning towards it in certain situations.

I use Python for a fair few simulations and mathematical modelling,, the out put of these are in .csv format, I usually open these in Excel and as the data is not formatted it looks a bit untidy, but I have been putting up with it. Today I forgot that I had re-installed Numbers and that it became the default program for .csv files. I was pleasantly surprised to find the output a lot more visually pleasing than Excel.

I am going to start giving Numbers a chance to take over some of my spreadsheet work, I don't think I will 100% abandon Exce, but it is good to have another angle of attack.
sheets.png

Ad

Advertisements

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Thanks for sharing. I actually prefer different spreadsheet applications depending on what I am working on.

Apple Numbers - most personal/general spreadsheets
Google Sheets - when I want to easily share/coloaborate with others, or post for viewing in a web browser
Excel - when I need a little more horsepower for formulas and added higher level functionality

I do agree that Numbers has a very clean look and interface, and you can even adjust the way a spreadsheet looks in the print preview window. Google sharing and collaboration are second-to-none. Excel is the big brother that allows much more custom functions, and VBA can be very helpful.

C

HbgBill

Reaction score
I don't use spreadsheets often.. but, so far, my main disappointment has been that you can't do a mail merge to print mailing labels. So far as I know, Apple has no plans to change this. Sad, IMO

Ad

Advertisements

Howard Brazee

Reaction score
My use of spreadsheets is very limited, and the most important thing for me is having good headings. I just renewed my Office subscription when I opened excel spreadsheets in Numbers and didn't see headings. Hmm, I see when I click on them, I have an option to open in Numbers 1.0.3 or Numbers 6.0, but I only see one in my Applications folder.

Ask a Question