Giving 'Numbers' a chance, by accident.

Reaction score
As a long time Excel user I found that Numbers was a little limiting, however, by accident I find myself leaning towards it in certain situations.

I use Python for a fair few simulations and mathematical modelling,, the out put of these are in .csv format, I usually open these in Excel and as the data is not formatted it looks a bit untidy, but I have been putting up with it. Today I forgot that I had re-installed Numbers and that it became the default program for .csv files. I was pleasantly surprised to find the output a lot more visually pleasing than Excel.

I am going to start giving Numbers a chance to take over some of my spreadsheet work, I don't think I will 100% abandon Exce, but it is good to have another angle of attack.
sheets.png

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Thanks for sharing. I actually prefer different spreadsheet applications depending on what I am working on.

Apple Numbers - most personal/general spreadsheets
Google Sheets - when I want to easily share/coloaborate with others, or post for viewing in a web browser
Excel - when I need a little more horsepower for formulas and added higher level functionality

I do agree that Numbers has a very clean look and interface, and you can even adjust the way a spreadsheet looks in the print preview window. Google sharing and collaboration are second-to-none. Excel is the big brother that allows much more custom functions, and VBA can be very helpful.

C

Reaction score
I don't use spreadsheets often.. but, so far, my main disappointment has been that you can't do a mail merge to print mailing labels. So far as I know, Apple has no plans to change this. Sad, IMO

Reaction score
My use of spreadsheets is very limited, and the most important thing for me is having good headings. I just renewed my Office subscription when I opened excel spreadsheets in Numbers and didn't see headings. Hmm, I see when I click on them, I have an option to open in Numbers 1.0.3 or Numbers 6.0, but I only see one in my Applications folder.

Ask a Question