Boot Camp Giving Bogus Error Message

Reaction score
Hello All-

I have a mac mini intel core solo which has a boot camped disk with windows xp home. I am trying to use the boot camp setup assistant to erase my windows partition and reformat and reinstall windows. But as soon as i get to the first window and click continue, i get the message "Boot Camp Assistant cannot be used You must update your system software before using this setup assistant"

I've gone to Software Update many times and all my software is up to date. What's the problem, and how do i fix it? Is there a way to reformat and reinstall the windows partition without using bootcamp?

I'm trying to install windows vista business clean, since my license for xp is illegal *cough* *cough* what? *cough* i didn't *cough* say that-- but now i have vista business and i want to just wipe the windows partition and reinstall- and of course i need to install it in a way where it will work on the mac and i need a copy of the drivers cd which i might have somewhere but it would be much easier if i could just burn it again which i cant do now b/c of boot camp being emo or something.

So now that i've written a sentence reminiscent in length to the first one in the declaration of independence, i'll leave it to you to come up with a genius solution to my probelm

Reaction score
The BootCamp Assistant for Tiger has been disabled as of recently by Apple, since BootCamp was simply a Beta of a feature designed for Leopard. By "Update your software", I'm assuming they mean upgrade to Leopard, since BootCamp is standard in the Leopard OS. More information on the disabling of the BootCamp assistant here.

Reaction score
I am running Leopard, as i stated above, not the beta for tiger.:(
I don't recall you stating which version of OS X you were running at all. However if BootCamp is giving you the classic Assistant error under Leopard, the only thing I could think of doing is checking for an update for BootCamp, which you've claimed to do. I'm afraid I'm at a loss. :(

Ask a Question