SOLVED Get Startup Volume journaled

Reaction score
Hi, My iMac, running Mojave 10.14.6, is being sluggish bordering on unresponsive. Attempting a cleanup using Onyx, the second step (after checking the S.M.A.R.T status, which is fine) is checking the structure of the System Files on the Startup Volume. When I try to do this, Onyx gives me this message: “Not possible to verify the startup volume because it is not journaled.” So my question is, what do I need to do to get my Startup Volume journaled? Thanks for help!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

If the drive is formatted as APFS, it may report as not journaled, which is normal because it uses checksums for data integrity.

-Which version of OnyX are you running - 3.6.8?
-Did you give OnyX Full Disk Access in System Preferences... >Security & Privacy > Privacy?

C

Last edited:
Reaction score
I know nothing about APFS-- how do I find out?
Onyx 2.0.2
In System Preferences... >Security & Privacy > Privacy when I clicked Full Disk Access NO apps were listed, and I've now added Onyx.
It still hangs up in the same way-- "startup volume not journaled"... Thanks!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

To check for APFS:
-Right-click on Macintosh HD on your Desktop, select Get Info, and it will state how it is formatted under Format:
-That version of OnyX is VERY old - from Leopard vintage. Download and use OnyX 3.6.8 for Mojave

C

Reaction score
Yes, I am APFS.
Onyx 3.6.8 runs smoothly and gives me no error message :)
I still down know if my startup disk is journaled, but maybe it doesn't matter.
Thanks, Ch

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Glad the new version worked.

As I mentioned, APFS doesn't use journaling, so you are good to go.

C

Ask a Question