Firewall OSX

Reaction score
Hi, i've never really taken online security seriously before as up until lately i've only used the net for browsing the web and downloading music but I want to set up a firewall.

I understand that OSX has it's own. Is it any good?

Also I'm on the net via a wireless bt home hub. Is it possible that a firewall would block the wireless signal? and if so how would I rectify that?

Cheers

Reaction score
Hello Jango!

Yes, OS X has its own Firewall. I think it's good. It does keep unwanted people out. I have tested it myself with another Mac and a Windows XP machine. It does the job. As far as your wireless signal going out, OS X firewall shouldn't boot you off.

Go to System Preferences --> Sharing --> Firewall --> and select all the things you wish for your computer to access. It is pretty straight forward to setup. Let us know if you need further help!

Cheerio
Searay

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there jango,

to add to Searay's excelent comments...

Is it the white BT home hub thing, I have only set one up before. I think BT are due to send me one...anyway that is the most important thing/bit to set up correctly.

How have you configured the Wireless network ? Are you using some form of encryption ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi and thanks,

That's right Ric, it's the little white box. I just configured it the way the instructions told me to when it came.

As far as i'm aware there was no form of incription involved in the set up, it was all very straightforward. Just a wireless connection via airport. You press a little button on the back for a few seconds and bobs your uncle.

I don't know which of these items in the list of these incoming network communications that can be selected to get through the firewall apply to me could I not select any of them and still keep my wireless connection.

Most seem to be related to file sharing which is something I don't really do.

All I really care about is not losing my wireless internet connection and reducing the risk of someone getting hold of my card details when I make a purchase over the net.

Are there any there that if I don't select might stop my wireless internet connection?

FTP Access?

Remote login - SSH?

Cheers, Jango.

Ask a Question