FAT32 on a Startup Disk?

Reaction score
Hello, all.

It is quite possible that what I am about to ask is impossible.

The computer I am doing this to is fresh out of the box, nothing special on it.

Here's what I want: I want to install OS X, Windows Vista, and Linux on my 500 GB iMac Hard Drive. That part is easy enough, Bootcamping to NTFS and then using rEFIt. But I also want 110 GB of my Hard Drive to be FAT32, so that I can have my iTunes Library and Documents Accessible to both Windows and Mac OS X. Therein Lies My Problem.

Anyone who has had trouble reformatting and reinstalling MacOS X knows, you have to, under options in the disk utility partitioner, click GUID Partition Map. This setting does not allow you to format any partition as FAT-32. If it is not on this setting, even if you have formatted it is HFS+ it will not let you install Mac OS X.

Therein lies my problem.

I was thinking, maybe you can bootcamp twice, creating one NTFS and one FAT32 Partition, but I don't think you can do that.

Perhaps then, its is possible to make a 110 partition in HFS+ and then use Linux to partition it as FAT32.

So how should I go about this? I dont want to use an external drive for this.

Ask a Question