fan acting up

Reaction score
I recently replaced my hard drive and reset my pmu. now my mac wont do anything and the fan just gets really loud when you turn it on. can anyone help?

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

does it not boot at all ?

Have you back tracked...any cables loose ?

Take the drive out and try and boot to your install disk...

Did it boot okay before the upgrade ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
it doesnt do anything, i have checked all the cables and even opened it up and checked it against my currently working, identical machine. it all started after I replaced the hard drive in it and installed the boot disk, it ran fine for about an hour and then froze, when i reset it, it gave me the folder with the question mark. I was told that it was just a problem with the bios and that i should reset the pmu, after that the computer will do nothing, i dont get any output to the monitor and the button which usually stays lit after you turn it on goes off right away. About 30 seconds later the fan goes crazy and sounds like its going to take off. I'm really getting frustrated with it.
Thank You for responding.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

Try unplugging the power cable...then hold down the "Power On Button" (keep it held) then plug the power cable back in...wait 5 seconds...then release the "Power On"...then press the power on to boot up...

give that a go and let us know what happens...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Still nothing, i tried putting in a formatted hard drive with tiger already installed and still nothing. it seems to me that the hard drive isn't being found. The mechanical things all seem to be working especially the fan.
Thanks

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

You can try a couple of things:

1. Boot from Mac OS X CD

2. Hold down the Option key during startup and see if it gives you a bootable HD as a selection to boot from

3. Hold X key during startup

4. Hold Option-Command-P-R to reset PRAM and release these keys when you hear second startup chime

Let me know if any of these work for you. If so, once you are in the Finder, go into System Preferences > Startup Disk and select the hard drive with OS X on it and restart.

C

Reaction score
still nothing, i dont get a start up chime, or any signal to my monitor. If that helps with your diagnosis mac doctors.
Thank you for your help, though it still isn't working, i'm glad to know that there is some support out there.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

You're not even getting a startup chime?

How many times did you press the PMU button...hopefully not more than once and only for less than a second.

Sounds to me like the logic board, RAM, or video card may be fried. Could be a combo of those as well.

C

Reaction score
hmmm, my buddy gave it to me to try to fix for him. I asked him about it and he said he pushed it a couple of times, and the graphics card being fried would make sense becuase i get no activity on my monitor.
Thank you

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

Yes, but you're not getting anything on the display because the Mac is not passing it's startup testing...i.e. no chime. Bad RAM, video cards, etc. can cause this.

Ric

Reaction score
...I have just ordered my "AppleCare Technician Training", so when it comes I will check on the extra Apple pages to see if any thing else turns up...

(I have decided to get myself certified ! ...or is that committed ;-) )

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Did you use any anti-static precautions when fixing the new drive? Static from your body can cause a heap of damage to components, and it sounds like this could be the problem here, unfortunately.

Ask a Question