SOLVED DOD refuses to recognize SAFARI

Any others having problems with D O Ds position on SAFARI?

• Yes, No

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Didn’t know that

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
For reasons that they won’t provide, Dept of Defense declines to accept Apple users when accessing “My Pay” which is the payroll program that serves Retirees, as well as Active Duty personnel. We cannot make changes to what happens to our pay nor can we find out what is happening in the near future. It seems like DOD is taking the easy way for them, and creating a problem for its customer. There are a lot of of us

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

First off...thank you for your service.

This issue is a pretty common one, especially with government, education, and corporate websites. For many of them, the systems that you are interacting with via your browser are older technology and haven't been updated for years. It's not always a ban on Apple per se, more that the other browsers have more compatibility with Microsoft/Windows based systems that process the information, even though Safari has more modern technology and security features than some of them. Part of it is the SSL encryption standards used, and the percentage of users using the different platforms.

I deal with this issue on a daily basis in the education world, where the major curriculum companies still haven't updated their resources to modern standards. Much of their software/websites are still reliant on Adobe Flash, which is totally being deprecated in December 2020 by Adobe themselves. Today's online-centric and strict security focus is causing these larger organizations to scramble and play catch-up to their younger and more modern counterparts and competitors.

My suggestion would be to use Google Chrome over the others, as it seems to have the best balance of compatibility and security. I prefer Safari myself for personal browsing, but use Chrome for all work-related Internet access.

mypay.png

Stay healthy and safe!

C

Reaction score
Hello,

First off...thank you for your service.

This issue is a pretty common one, especially with government, education, and corporate websites. For many of them, the systems that you are interacting with via your browser are older technology and haven't been updated for years. It's not always a ban on Apple per se, more that the other browsers have more compatibility with Microsoft/Windows based systems that process the information, even though Safari has more modern technology and security features than some of them. Part of it is the SSL encryption standards used, and the percentage of users using the different platforms.

I deal with this issue on a daily basis in the education world, where the major curriculum companies still haven't updated their resources to modern standards. Much of their software/websites are still reliant on Adobe Flash, which is totally being deprecated in December 2020 by Adobe themselves. Today's online-centric and strict security focus is causing these larger organizations to scramble and play catch-up to their younger and more modern counterparts and competitors.

My suggestion would be to use Google Chrome over the others, as it seems to have the best balance of compatibility and security. I prefer Safari myself for personal browsing, but use Chrome for all work-related Internet access.

View attachment 3664

Stay healthy and safe!

C
How exactly do I download/install Chrome So that it doesn’t preempt Safari?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

You can use Safari to download Google Chrome at this link: The browser built by Google.

Then, install it:
  1. Open the file called "googlechrome.dmg."
  2. In the window that opens, find Chrome
    Chrome
  3. Drag Chrome to the Applications folder.
    • You might be asked to enter the admin password.
    • If you don't know the admin password, drag Chrome to a place on your computer where you can make edits, like your desktop.
  4. Open Chrome.
  5. Open Finder.
  6. In the sidebar, to the right of Google Chrome, click Eject
    Eject
You can then use Chrome when you access the DOD myPay website. When you first launch it, it may ask if you want to set Chrome as your default browser...just decline if you want to keep Safari. You can also set it using these instructions: Change the default web browser or email app on your Mac.

It will not interfere with Safari at all, as it is simply another application.

Hope that helps!

C

Reaction score
Hi,

You can use Safari to download Google Chrome at this link: The browser built by Google.

Then, install it:
  1. Open the file called "googlechrome.dmg."
  2. In the window that opens, find Chrome
    Chrome
  3. Drag Chrome to the Applications folder.
    • You might be asked to enter the admin password.
    • If you don't know the admin password, drag Chrome to a place on your computer where you can make edits, like your desktop.
  4. Open Chrome.
  5. Open Finder.
  6. In the sidebar, to the right of Google Chrome, click Eject
    Eject
You can then use Chrome when you access the DOD myPay website. When you first launch it, it may ask if you want to set Chrome as your default browser...just decline if you want to keep Safari. You can also set it using these instructions: Change the default web browser or email app on your Mac.

It will not interfere with Safari at all, as it is simply another application.

Hope that helps!

C
Thank you Cory. You've been VERY helpful
Wayne

Ask a Question