Dismount delays

Reaction score
I think this has been talked about some online, but with no real resolution. When I dismount things (disks, USB drives, etc.) from my Macs, it often takes ten or fifteen seconds to do it. This is mildly annoying. Is there some way to speed this up? Is there some explanation for what's going on that makes it take so long? Ten or fifteen seconds is an eternity for non-prehistoric machines.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello again,

10-15 secs sounds normal to me. When ejecting/unmounting storage devices, there is a delay while all the files are closed, entries are written to the directory of the device and Spotlight index, the physical spin down of hard drive platters, etc. Older USB and larger external hard drives definitely take longer. There really isn't any way to speed up the process.

Hope that helps.

C

Reaction score
OK, I can live with that. But especially for non-disk media, like USB sticks, makes no sense why it should take so long to do simple housekeeping. True that Spotlight indexing always seems to make things take longer.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

Even though USB sticks don't have a spinning drive, they still need a few moments to unmount properly. If you simply unplug it from your Mac without using the macOS eject function, it can become corrupted since it may still be writing the files I mentioned previously. You can simply unplug Flash drives most of the time without any issue, but it can happen. And, you will always get the Disk Not Ejected Properly notification.

C

Reaction score
I understand "a few moments". I don't really understand ten or fifteen seconds.

Ask a Question