Disk Utility repair

Reaction score
Hi I am really hoping someone can help me, I have just installed a program called myPCbackup and since doing so my computer is doing strange things (like icons disappearing of the menu bar) I have run disk utilities and it has said I need to restart with original start up disc and repair the hard drive, I haven't done this for so long and have forgotten if this will wipe all my desktop of applications and files?? can anyone tell me if this will happen if I go ahead and repair from startup disk? and does anyone have any experience with the myPCback up program?
the system is Mac OS X 10.6.8
cheers

Reaction score
Sounds like something/myPCback has damaged your File System, this is not good, you have probably lost files.

I never trust any app or service with "PC" in the name, the whole site looks very Windows PC focused, not a good sign for us MAC users.

As to will Disk Utility delete stuff, no but it might not be able to fix the damage already done.

Reaction score
thanks heaps yeah doesn't sound too good, will try and fix and get rid of program, what do you suggest for the best cloud style back up, I am a freelence magazine designer so its quite important I have my work stored offsite and I don't want to spend a fortune either
cheers

Reaction score
IMO there are no free/cheap inline automatic backup service. Our local files systems are just too big, and you are probably backing up large amounts of unnecessary files.

We advise a triple system, 1. TimeCapsule 2. Duplicated onto a rotating pair of Hard Drives that is stored of site, rotated weekly. 3. With a service like Dropbox, or Mega (www.mega.co.nz) free 50 Gig for daily drag and drop updates.

If you have Lion or MoLo then "All My Files" makes it very easy to see what files you have worked on today and select the ones you want stored instantly off site.

Ask a Question