Can You Modify the Modifiers?

Reaction score
I am a lousy typist and like many of my ilk I have turned off the Caps Lock key because I usually manage to hit it without wanting to. Now there are times when I want to type all caps. Is there a way to set up “caps lock” using two or three keys so that I can’t just do it inadvertently? I know you can set up any of the modifier keys for that but that’s using only one modifier key — which I will also manage to hit inadvertently.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

I don't know if there is a way to change the Caps Lock key to another combination, but you can remap the Caps Lock key:

 > System Preferences... > Keyboard > Keyboard > Modifier Keys... > Caps Lock Key: No Action

That will totally disable the Caps Lock key from doing anything when pressed, so you will have to hold the Shift key for that function.

C

Reaction score
Right. I've done that. But . . . With Word you can create an alternate way to lock in caps, something like command-shift-a, something you won't hit inadvertently. I'm hoping to find something similar with Pages or, better, with my laptop that has a Mojave OS.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Nothing that I know of in Pages with that functionality, or within OS X/macOS.

I am not familiar with that function in Word either...can you explain those steps?

C

Reaction score
Right. You disable the Caps Lock key, as you said, in System Preferences and then you achieve Caps Lock by typing Control+Shift+A. I don't remember having to do anything to set that up (it's been years); I think it's one of a number of built-in keyboard shortcuts for Word.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Ahhh...OK. It's a text formatting command that converts selected text to all caps, or lets you type in all caps from the point you activate it on until you deactivate it. When you do, characters return to lower case, unless you held the Shift key for upper case. When it is active, you can still type holding the Shift key for specific characters as upper case, because if you select and deactivate it, they return to how you actually input/typed them.

It is actually more of a font formatting control, similar to bold or italic, and it doesn't actually change the function of your keyboard or Caps Lock key.

Thanks for the link though...it could be a helpful resource.

C

Ask a Question