Booting off of a remote drive?

Reaction score
Macbook Pro (2008)
MacOS 10.6 Snow Leopard
Boot Camp 3.1
Disk Utility 11.5.1

I wanted to upgrade my Boot Camp from XP to Windows 7. I used Boot Camp to delete the Windows XP partition, so I could create a fresh partition for Windows 7. When I tried to make the new partition, I got an error saying that some files could not be moved, and that I should backup my hard drive and use Disk Utility to restore it.

I thought the error seemed oddly cryptic and weird, considering the partition was working fine not even 10 minutes ago. So I went into Disk Utility and Verified my startup disk, where I got this less cryptic, and more serious looking message.

Invalid volume file count
(It should be 493423 instead of 493424)

Invalid volume directory count
(It should be 140163 instead of 140162)

The volume Computer was found corrupt and needs to be repaired.

Error: This disk needs to be repaired. Start up your computer with another disk (such as your Mac OS X installation disc), and then use Disk Utility to repair this disk.

I have my boot disk, however, my DVD drive in my Macbook Pro is not working, and when I last installed Snow Leopard, I did the MacBook Air thing of installing it off of another computer's DVD drive that was being shared over a wireless network.

I'm not sure how to do the same thing as a boot disk though, or if it's even possible.

Reaction score
Update: After another hour or so of looking around, I think I found out how to boot from a remote drive using something called Netboot/

I've never actually heard of this before, but I actually can't try it and see if it works for another hour or so. Hopefully it works when I try it later today like I think it does from the wikipedia explanation.

Reaction score
Another Update: I was informed by the Startup Disk Utility in the System Preferences that the Bless Tool was unable to change the startup disk to the network drive. I have absolutely no idea what that means.

So now I'm attempting to use the Remote Install OS X application as described at this link, as the tool describes that it works with Disk Utility too.

Reaction score
Suggest that you get a copy of Disk Warrior. This will solve your immediate problem with your directory. Also suggest you consider Carbon Copy Cloner and make a bootable flash drive copy of your OS X system so you will be able to boot from it.

Ask a Question