SOLVED Bogus infection reports?

Reaction score
Hello
I am currently running OS 12.7.1 and recently have been receiving messages saying 'System File is damaged'. The message appears to come from McaFee Total Security and after running a 'scan' reports that 5 viruses are present and effectively buy a year's subscription to stop this. I have run a scan with MalwareBytes which reports 'No threats".

Is this a scam or a hard sell? The warning notices regularly come on for a few seconds and then disappear and it would be nice to stop them.

Is anyone else having the same problems?

Regards

John

Reaction score
Hi there,

This is a feature of Safari that allows websites send you notifcations. You must have clicked Allow on a web site that you visited.

Here are the steps to get rid of these notification alerts..

1. Open the Safar Preferences
2. On top click on Websites.
3. On the left scroll down and select Notifications.
4. Remove everything in the list on the right.
5. Uncheck Allow websites to ask for permissions to send notifications
6. Quit Safari.
7. Restart your Mac.

You should no longer see the alerts.

Reaction score
WOW. read this article, out of interest, and found out this has been happening to me also. so i followd the instructions. (though my Safari has "Setting" not preferences") and it worked wonders.
so pays to read the forums also.
Thanks again from this reader.
regards, Sandy

Reaction score
Hi Sandy.

I usually post the instructions as "Open the Safari Settings (Preferences in Monterey or earlier)", but the original poster stated that he was on Monterey so I left out the OS specific differences.

Glad that it worked for you as well.

Reaction score
Hello MacsBug
Many thanks for your suggestion and it worked a treat.

Regards

Sapper

Ask a Question