Big Sur 11.2.2

Reaction score
Many Mac forums are awash with posts from users who have installed Big Sur and the majority are reporting problems.
However, there are many users who have installed Big Sur and had no problems, but these users tend not to go on forums as there is nothing to discus. So you tend to get a skewed view with regard to the extent of any problems.
I usually do the upgrade to an external drive and use that for a while to check out and problems with the OS or any apps, before taking the plunge.

Reaction score
Do users who have downloaded Big Sur like it? Any problems with apps?
Yes, many things. I have tried to keep things pretty much like I had them on Catalina, but things are getting really complicated.
* I am being asked ID's and passwords all the time, even though I have them all set up with LastPass.
* I am constantly having to identify photos of stoplights, cars, busses, crosswalks, etc. (from crappy low-res photos) to confirm I'm really a human.
* My Mail app is putting messages everywhere. For example, the same messages show up in several folders: All inboxes, Today, Bulk mail, and various smart mailboxes. I have to then delete them from each folder. I have various email addresses (ATT, Google, Apple cloud) but I try to use only the ATT server.
* I often cannot use my fingerprint ID and have to enter a password.
* If I leave the computer alone after dark, photos tend to mate and multiply. I have several photos with 3 or 4 duplicates. Sexy little devils.
* To view or edit JPG/JPEG files, the Photos app is not one of the choices for "Open with." Usually, Preview is the default app.

These are some of the most frustrating issues, but there are others that I can't recall right now. I'm nearing 80 years of age and have been pretty good at keeping up with technology, I started using computers running CPM on a KAYPro, so I'm not a beginner. But, technology is now running faster than I can. I have tried getting a "computer expert" to help me set things up, but they normally use their own shortcuts to get things realigned, but it's too complicated for me to follow should it happen again.

I would prefer going back to Catalina, but was told I couldn't without losing a lot of files and data. I'd have to erase my hard drive and start over from scratch. My older MacBook pro isn't able to upgrade to Big Sur, and it's easier to use than my new MacBook pro.
Sure, I could solve my issues by constantly paying someone to do it, but that gets terribly expensive (time, mileage and money) for so many little things.
I'm frustrated and probably won't get any resolution through this forum, but thanks for hearing me out.

Reaction score
Hi,

Personally I am enjoying Big Sur on a new MacBook Air, and have not had any of Dennis74’s issues, which I am sorry to hear. I do feel that it seems to have been ISO lead in many respects, Safari, mail for example as with the new dock icon styles.;)

But even using iCloud Drive between my 2010, 2018, 2020 Mac’s works seamlessly.:)

Reaction score
Yes, many things. I have tried to keep things pretty much like I had them on Catalina, but things are getting really complicated.
* I am being asked ID's and passwords all the time, even though I have them all set up with LastPass.
* I am constantly having to identify photos of stoplights, cars, busses, crosswalks, etc. (from crappy low-res photos) to confirm I'm really a human.
* My Mail app is putting messages everywhere. For example, the same messages show up in several folders: All inboxes, Today, Bulk mail, and various smart mailboxes. I have to then delete them from each folder. I have various email addresses (ATT, Google, Apple cloud) but I try to use only the ATT server.
* I often cannot use my fingerprint ID and have to enter a password.
* If I leave the computer alone after dark, photos tend to mate and multiply. I have several photos with 3 or 4 duplicates. Sexy little devils.
* To view or edit JPG/JPEG files, the Photos app is not one of the choices for "Open with." Usually, Preview is the default app.

These are some of the most frustrating issues, but there are others that I can't recall right now. I'm nearing 80 years of age and have been pretty good at keeping up with technology, I started using computers running CPM on a KAYPro, so I'm not a beginner. But, technology is now running faster than I can. I have tried getting a "computer expert" to help me set things up, but they normally use their own shortcuts to get things realigned, but it's too complicated for me to follow should it happen again.

I would prefer going back to Catalina, but was told I couldn't without losing a lot of files and data. I'd have to erase my hard drive and start over from scratch. My older MacBook pro isn't able to upgrade to Big Sur, and it's easier to use than my new MacBook pro.
Sure, I could solve my issues by constantly paying someone to do it, but that gets terribly expensive (time, mileage and money) for so many little things.
I'm frustrated and probably won't get any resolution through this forum, but thanks for hearing me out.
Dear Dennis74, I also am having similar issues since I downloaded Big Sur onto my MacBook Pro a few months ago. At first everything worked normally/better, but over time I notice increasing glitches, including the fingerprint ID never working. Other issue around AirPod connection stability, repeated crashing of Messages, and occasionally the whole computer crashes & reboots. I'm sure it's buggy software, but idk how to resolve.

Reaction score
Hi,

Just a few thoughts

To view or edit JPG/JPEG files, the Photos app is not one of the choices for "Open with." Usually, Preview is the default app.
I don't have the open with photo option in high sierra, can't remember when we last had this option, maybe in OS X.
I often cannot use my fingerprint ID and have to enter a password.
Do you get the following message, (Password is required to enable touch id) If so have a look at my screen shot and make sure the boxe's are unticked, under security and privacy then advanced.
Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at 20.32.49.png

My Mail app is putting messages everywhere.
I would possibly think about rebuilding the affected mail boxes.

Reaction score
Hi,

Just to add.
As I only have BS on my new MacBook Air. One thing I’ve noticed about Catalina and BS is unlike HS and before, I now have to hunt for certain applications to replace those running on my older Mac’s. As now many of the once free apps are subscription driven, not that I’m complaining, it’s quite fun and It’s a little like hunting repositories for software when I only used Linux machines.

Ask a Question