Automator vs Applescript

Reaction score
Hi, am I right in thinking that 'Automator' is like a 'macro recorder' which logs mouseclicks etc so they can be 'played back' to automate a repetitive task?

Please could someone explain to me what sort of task would be beyond Automator's capabilities and therefore requires writing an Applescript?

Is Automator aimed at people that do not know any Applescript? Do people who have learned Applescript tend to use that all the time and forget about Automator?

Finally, please could you recommend the best Applescript book suitable for someone that is new to Applescript (but not new to other scripting).

Thank you,
Steve.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

unfortunately Automator does not work like that ! (at the minute !)

Script Editor (AppleScript) however does ! As long as the Application that you want to record has the ability built in to it, like the Finder.

AppleScript has been around for years, and Automator has only just recently come out...AppleScript can be used to write very complex applications and is harder to learn for the average computer user...not that many people bothered !

Automator was made to address this problem, and is meant to be easy to use..drag and drop to build a workflow etc...

Books to read in order...

AppleScript:The missing manual is very good, I have it !

AppleScript: A comprehensive guide... is very good, I have it !

AppleScript: A definitive guide is very good, I have it !

If books aren't your thing, then either sign up to the VTC university, (use the link to help support this site ;-)) It's very good, I am a member !

For the price of a book you get a couple of months access !

AppleScript training videos

I use both AppleScript and Automator daily, Automator is great for knocking up quick workflows without having to think too hard ;-)

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks again Ric!

I will check out the videos but I usually absorb more from a book, your recommendations are all reasonably priced so I have added them to my Amazon wishlist.

From what I have read so far Applescript seems to be a very powerful element to OS X.

I can see I'm going to love owning a Mac (when I get one).

Steve.

Ask a Question