ArtSaver "suddenly" unsupported by Sierra?

Reaction score
Upgraded to Sierra four months ago. Have been running the ArtSaver slideshow screen saver without a hitch until this week. Then it started crashing every so often (the machine reverted to the black Apple screen that says "MacBook Pro", until I woke the system and hot-cornered again, when the slideshow relaunched as usual.)

Today I got a message about System Preferences having a problem with ArtSaver, so I threw it out, downloaded a new copy, and reinstalled. Now my Mac says "This software unsupported by Sierra".

Since I haven't updated anything in weeks, what gives? Why is this extension "suddenly" incompatible?

Also, this function is very important to me; I use it to edit the hundreds of photos I take. In ArtSaver you can hit return and it will open the Finder folder where the photo currently being displayed resides. This is critical to my ability to edit my portfolio. Note that the system-native slideshow won't even tell you the name or path of the file displayed; you're just completely lost. It also doesn't ofter meaningful display features such as "show photo at 100%" (it automatically blows up everything to full screen, which is profoundly annoying). It's just way too primitive to be of any use.

So, any hints on how I can make ArtSaver work again? (It's apparently deadware, with no updates since Snow Leopard.) Failing that, are there any other photo slideshow screen savers that provide better service? Seems like this is a basic need; somebody has to be filling it(?).

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It sounds like it was already installed before you updated to Sierra. Some apps that aren't compatible can still run in an unsupported OS, until certain updates are applied. I did a little research, and it seems that ArtSaver is no longer as you mentioned, and probably won't work any longer.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any replacements that would meet you specific needs.

C

Reaction score
Yeah, it was already on there when I upgraded; been using it since Yosemite. Sigh. Looks like I'm out of luck.

If any developers out there are interested in marketing an ArtSaver-style Mac OS screensaver, you got a ready-made customer here. (Plus others; it had a militant following.)

Thanks for the reply, Cory!

Reaction score
In actuality, prior to upgrading to a newer Mac OS, it is necessary to check one's third party software for compatibility, and see if there are any updates available. There are also times (although not very many) where even with the same version of the Mac OS one is using, an an upgrade becomes available, again within the same OS, some third party software might need upgrading.

Reaction score
I downloaded the El Capitan version (the file name is ArtSaver 3.0.1 for macOS 10.11), but when I try to load it my system says "This screen saver requires OS X 10.14 or later." I'm running 10.12.6.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

I would contact them via email directly for support from the link above, as they would be the best resource for support in this situation.

C

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries...

If you would, let us know what they say, as it may help someone else in the future.

Good luck,

C

Last edited:
Reaction score
Works now!! Gabriel had just uploaded the wrong file. He corrected that, I downloaded it from the page linked above, and good old ArtSaver is back, exactly like it used to be.

I'm delighted to have it back; nothing else does what it does. (I.e., surprises me with examples of the many shots in my photo editing library at random moments, when I have a "fresh eye", and lets me "show in finder" to make notations on the good files and throw out the ones that don't land.)

Wish Apple would bundle it with its OS. (After paying Gabriel handsomely for the privilege, of course.)

Ask a Question