Are you waiting ?

Your next Mac ?

• I'm waiting till MacIntel !

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • I'm waiting till MacIntel version 2 !

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • I'm going to buy the last fastest PPC !

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • I don't care I'm buying now !

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • My current Mac will last for years yet !

Votes: 41 63.1%

• Total voters

Ric

Reaction score
If like me, you were thinking of buying a new Mac before the Intel announcement, has this changed your mind. Will you wait till the new Mac's are made, or will you bite the bullet and just go and buy one regardless ?

If you are waiting, I would wait till the second generation Mac..Intel chip.

That, however could mean a wait of over two years !!!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

My current Mac will be sufficient for quite a while...of course, I know I will be an early adopter again and get the first run of Mactels!

;)

C

Ric

Reaction score
I'll more than likely be queueing right next to you Cory !

Always liked my gadgets, especially my Mac's !!

Reaction score
Hi All
I just bought my Dual 2.5. It arrived the day Apple announced the 2.7, what the heck I am happy this niow has to last me for about ten years. I am confident it will last.
Teapot

Ric

Reaction score
It'll probably last another 10 after that !

Very nice machine...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
I'm very happy with the Mac I have now and, since my knowledge of computers is limited, I'm sure it will satisfy my needs for years to come.
However, I have a feeling that Mac computers are evolving towards the Windows market. Having Mac OS and Windows on the same computer could be a winning combination for many consumers.
Personnally I prefer the Mac OS, it meets my needs and is very dependable (remember I'm not much of a computer guru).

Ric

Reaction score
I must admit, I'll be happy to be able to dual boot !

I have to use Sage Accounts which is only available on the PC, I tried it under virtual PC and it just wasn't acceptable, so I had to buy a PC just for that purpose !

Being able to access some Windows, possibly Linux software on Mac hardware will be very good...

...best start saving up !

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Not exactly waiting, we ordered 3 macs a while ago, but wanted to hold of the delivery, and when we heard about macintel, we obv. phoned up to check we would have those!

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

what software are you going to be running on the "New Intel" Macs ?

It's worth checking that whatever you want to run on them, is 'ready' to run on an Intel Mac... (A "Universal" Application !)

All software is cuurently being 'converted' to run on Intel Mac's and the curent PowerPC Mac's...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
The only software we have for the macs so far is Photoshop, and we still looking at buying onestopmotion

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

according to the iBoing website iStopmotion 'has' been converted to a Universal Application, so that's fine...

Photoshop hasn't been converted yet...so when running on an Intel Mac it runs via Rossetta...an emulator...it is okay to use but will need updating to the Universal Application once it has been released.

Depending on what the students are doing, it should be okay...but it might be worth popping down to the local Apple Store if you have one to let a Teacher check it runs fast enough...

If you are need to buy Photoshop, then see if you will get a free upgrade to the Universal App when it comes out, this may save a few pennies, if they will do it !

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Na, no local apple shop... Live in the forest of dean, no real local computer shops really. I may call up someone and find out a bit more though

Reaction score
i just upgraded my AGP G4 up the wazoo
i dont need a new mac for a while now

( if wondering my AGP was a G4 400 orginally with a 32 mb ati radeon agp card 128 mb ram and a 10 gig hd
it now has 90 gig ( 3 hd's ) a sonnet encore 1000 mhz G4 cpu 640 mb of ram a usb 2.0 usb card and im looking for a dvd writer to build in it )

Reaction score
might buy a 17 inch imac next year to replace my slagging pentium 4
il have a pc and mac in one go

Reaction score
Okay... this is an old topic, but whatever.
I am quite sure that I'll at least chose a mac for my next laptop, my current main PC works well enough on the desktop though so I don't think I'll get a Mac to replace that one just yet. (I do have a Mini G4 currently for when I feel like using a nicer system instead of gaming... and a couple of old Performas for the occasional nostalgia fix; one 475 (my first computer, from '94, still working!) and one 6200)

Reaction score
I learned long ago to wait three years and to then buy a loaded unit used. This has held me in good stead as I bought SE/30's for 200.00, PwrCompting PowerTowerPro 225 for 250 instead of $4000. Now have a loaded Quicksilver 933, 2-DA733's, eMac 700 and the PowrTwrPro all in 3 different locations. Other Vendor's Software compatible with Last Year's OS sometimes goes for 10¢ on the Dollar. Buying OS 10.3.9 for $35.00 sure beats $125.00.
RHB The miserly curmudgeon

Ask a Question