"apply to enclosed items" grayed out

Reaction score
G5 with OS X10.4. Recently noticed the when I Get Info to change permissions for a folder to read & write for owner, group, & others the Apply to enclosed items is grayed out. Never really had to change this before, but wanted to do this to sent a group of files to someone else for their use. Don't know how or when this changed, nor how do I right it.

Appreciate all and any help.

Reaction score
The little padlock in that window is probably in its locked position. Click on it to unlock it. You'll then be able to change permissions.

Reaction score
Did that. Changes user, and any other thing I could change No go! Even created a new account on the hard drive. Nada! Guess I gotta reload the OS. Really didn't want to do that. And really want to know what caused this to know how to avoid it in the future.

Thanks all.

Reaction score
You're welcome. In the current account you're using, did you give yourself administrator privileges? If not, then it'd explain why you can't change the permissions. So, if you decide to create a new user account, you might want to consider giving yourself admin privileges to prevent a repeat of this situation.

Also, have you tried to repair permissions? Run Disk Utility for that (it's in your Applications > Utilities).

Reaction score
Am the administrator and ran Disk Utilities, and Onyx to repair permissions.

Ask a Question