How do I apply more CPU power to an application?

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a G4 1.42Ghz Dual processor Desktop Powermac. Running OSX.4.7.

The only really CPU hungry thing I use it for is to make music using Pro tools LE 7.

Recently I have been getting messages telling me that I am running out of CPU power & that I have to assign more CPU power to pro tools.

Can anyone tell me how to do this?

I know my Mac is a couple of years old & by todays standards isn't THAT powerful but I would have thought it being a 1.42 ghz dual processor it would be able to handle a few plug ins & audio/midi tracks.

I plan to get an new intel Mac G5 beastie sometime in the future (funds allowing & when all the inevitible teething problems & compatibility issues get ironed out) but I really had hoped that my current G4 would do me at least another year.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks, jango.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

I believe there is a setups menu where you can set the amount of CPU power to use. Also, you can help prevent this by only loading the plug-ins you need/are using on a particular project.

C

Reaction score
Hi

No I don't run anything else at the same time as Pro Tools. In fact Pro Tools is the only thing I really use my Mac for apart from some word processing in iWork & surfing the net.

A few people have suggested that I try something called "nice" in utillities/terminal.

I don't know if this is an application that is already in terminal or if it's something that I have to purchase or download.

Others have said that "nice" is only really useful if you are running various applications at the same time & as I don't it may even make things worse.

Does anyone have any opinions on these opinions!

I have 1GB of RAM installed & I suppose I could install more but I am not sure that would fix it & if it didn't it would be £140 that could have gone to my G5 Intel Mac Pro fund.

Thanks, Jango.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

nice is used when running mutliple applications at once to assign more process time with the CPU. It's a built-in function of UNIX at the OS level. I doubt it would solve your issue, and if you don't know Terminal commands very well, it's best to stay out of it. ;)

nice - (Unix)

C

Reaction score
That sounds like good advice to me.

I opened terminal & I didn't like what I saw.

Not enough colours & pretty pictures.

It seemed very serious & I didn't have a clue what I was supposed to do there.

Don't worry, I'm not going near it.

Thanks, Jango.

Ask a Question