A Few Basic Questions, Please

Reaction score
Hello,

If I asked this before, I apologize.
That old age thing.

a. New MAC, and I downloaded the complete Time Machine backups from the old Mac.
A few hrs to do it.

The Folder it put it all into on the Desktop will not allow
me to re-name it. It defaulted to a name: "Macintosh HD-Data"

Why can't I re-name it ?
Is there a way to fire-name this Folder ?

b. How do I stop Finder (and sometimes others) from always asking me for a Password
whenever I try to put something in the Trash (and for some other actions also) ?

I guess I have to set myself up as an Admin., but I "think" I am ?

How do I check if I am, and how do I change it if I am not ? Anything else to check ? (I am sole user of MAC)

Thanks,
Bob

Reaction score
Hello,

If I asked this before, I apologize.
That old age thing.

a. New MAC, and I downloaded the complete Time Machine backups from the old Mac.
A few hrs to do it.

The Folder it put it all into on the Desktop will not allow
me to re-name it. It defaulted to a name: "Macintosh HD-Data"

Why can't I re-name it ?
Is there a way to fire-name this Folder ?

b. How do I stop Finder (and sometimes others) from always asking me for a Password
whenever I try to put something in the Trash (and for some other actions also) ?

I guess I have to set myself up as an Admin., but I "think" I am ?

How do I check if I am, and how do I change it if I am not ? Anything else to check ? (I am sole user of MAC)

Thanks,
Bob
In your other post, you called it a “Mac Desktop.” Is it an M1 Mac mini, or Mac Studio? How did you “download” Time Machine… Did you simply drag the Time Machine drive icon to your desktop? If you did, and hopefully you haven’t erased the original Time Machine drive, you should just drag the copied Time Machine folder to the trash and empty it. It’s useless as it is.

I assume that the new Mac is running Monterey.

I’m also assuming that you wrote this post from another Mac. If you did, and if you were able to trash "Macintosh HD-Data," on the new Mac, report back so we can go to the next step. Good luck.

Reaction score
Hi Tony,

Thanks for
help; very appreciated.
In my 80's now, so will blame ignorance on that.

Thought I had a good handle on Time Machine usage, but obviously not.

For now, I only want to do the following:

How can I Trash the Folder: "Macintosh HD-Data ?
This is the one I "copied" everything from the old Time Machine external HD (which was on my old Mac), to my new Mac.

Seems like it won't let me trash it.
As it has a few hundred GB in it, would like to simply get rid of it for now, and free up
all of those GB.

Thanks again,
Bob

Reaction score
Hi Tony,

Thanks for
help; very appreciated.
In my 80's now, so will blame ignorance on that.

Thought I had a good handle on Time Machine usage, but obviously not.

For now, I only want to do the following:

How can I Trash the Folder: "Macintosh HD-Data ?
This is the one I "copied" everything from the old Time Machine external HD (which was on my old Mac), to my new Mac.

Seems like it won't let me trash it.
As it has a few hundred GB in it, would like to simply get rid of it for now, and free up
all of those GB.

Thanks again,
Bob
That’s the thing with Time Machine. The files and folder structure is unlike anything we are familiar with in Finder. Did you simply drag the icon of the Time Machine drive to the desktop? Are you able to do a screenshot off the desktop showing the “Macintosh HD-Data” icon? Are you able to open it as a window by double-clicking on the icon? If it opens a new window, can you take another screenshot of it?

And if you open Disk Utility, can you also take a screenshot?

If it was saved as a package, we may have to use a terminal command to erase it. Let me know.

Ask a Question