Why are you called ........ ?

SwampWitch

Reaction score
This is significantly less interesting than the others, but I'll explain.

I run the macware podcast. You can learn my real first name by just listening to the podcast. I don't have a consistent pseudonym on the internet because I tailor the name to fit the subject, such as h.p. fisher (my author name) for a writing site or clocksRround (a red vs. blue quote) on the red vs. blue site. I figured, since i would probably be bringing the freeware knowledge from my podcast to this site, it would be an appropriate name

Be aware- the macware podcast has been experiencing severe technical difficulties. Just the time that i figured out what was wrong (a few months ago) my laptop (with all the macware info) died. its backed up but until its working again i cant do anything. As a result my podcast has been down for almost a year and I have lived with the guilt of leaving my listeners for such a long time. Hopefully the summer will see a fixed podcast.

I'm interested in the writing site, is it a good one and could you post or send the link? What kinds of things do you write? I'm working on a novel but it's kind of embarrassing revealing myself in my writing; kind of personal!

Reaction score
Greenman come from the film (The Green Man) that carries a wickedly subversive streak of black humour sqarely on the back of Alastair Simms' disgruntled criminal ...

A Riddle
I am born on May Morning - by sticks, bells, and ribbons
I am the sap - in the dark root
I am the dancer - with his six fools
I am the tump - behind the old church
I am the lost soul - under the misericord
I am the oak - against the stars

I am the face - that peers through the leaves
I am the fear - in a child' s mind
I am the demon - on the roof-boss

I am killed in October - and laid on church altars

I am the guiser - on the bright bonfire
I am the old grain - sown with the seed
I am the flame - in the pumpkin ' s grin
I am the spirit - in the kern-baby's bosom

Reaction score
The work is written so lines to learn,
Smoke and mirrors make up the turn.

The plot is done spectacular to run,
The faces on show, yes see they have fun.

My user name came out of my job so to speak many many years ago (the above is a clue), but am finding it is used more and more on forums now a days so not so unusual.

Reaction score
Chuck is one of my many nicknames.

I still have no idea where the 38 came from, I have it there now so others can identify me from all the other forums I use. ;)

-Chuck

Reaction score
I am (about 99% of the time) an honest person, trying to be up front and truthful with folks. Hence, the name honestone.

Another name I could use (and again, is applicable to me) is "open minded". I might start using it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Since this is an interesting thread I will bump it.

I use the name Vanilla because my avatar mostly everywhere is of the Nekopara character of the same name - although here, it isn't, it's of Blanc from Hyperdimension Neptunia.

The Lumina part is part of an Internet family that my girlfriend Aileen set up. ^^

Reaction score
Donna - its my favorite name, but not my own
Ti - the part of the surname.
Guess boring enough)

Reaction score
I'm always intrigued by the wierd and wonderful names everyone uses on the Internet...

I'm boring and have used my real name !

If you have an unusual "Posting" name please feel free to explain the history/reasoning behind it...

regards

Ric

I use my real name on this site, but on a lot of others, I go by the name "Brush." I attended high school in Russell Springs, KY back in the mid-1970s. There was a sign business next door to the school called "Al the Brush," and since a few of my friends called me "Al," someone started calling me "the Brush," and it stuck. Strangely, that a nickname followed me to Nashville, TN when I went to college. More strangely, not a single friend or acquaintance from high school followed me there. After I moved back to Indianapolis, a co-worker began calling me "Brush." It was like pulling teeth, but this guy was a cousin to a girl I dated in high school, so the name caught on in Indiana.

I began a freelance graphic arts business in 1985, and I called it "The Brushworks." I had a trademark dispute with a brain-dead moron using the same name for his business. I won. Score one for the US Patent Office, which also has jurisdiction over trademarks and copyrights. This is my business card. I covered the address and phone numbers because I'm not soliciting business here. So a nickname has had a significant role in my life.

Brushworks BusnCard.jpg

Reaction score
This is significantly less interesting than the others, but I'll explain.

I run the macware podcast. You can learn my real first name by just listening to the podcast. I don't have a consistent pseudonym on the internet because I tailor the name to fit the subject, such as h.p. fisher (my author name) for a writing site or clocksRround (a red vs. blue quote) on the red vs. blue site. I figured, since i would probably be bringing the freeware knowledge from my podcast to this site, it would be an appropriate name

Be aware- the macware podcast has been experiencing severe technical difficulties. Just the time that i figured out what was wrong (a few months ago) my laptop (with all the macware info) died. its backed up but until its working again i cant do anything. As a result my podcast has been down for almost a year and I have lived with the guilt of leaving my listeners for such a long time. Hopefully the summer will see a fixed podcast.

When you get your podcast running again, I want it!

Reaction score
That's a cool, interesting story Allen/Brush, and it looks like the use of the "name" Brush with your business is paying off!

Congratulations on your victory regarding the patent. Way to go!

Reaction score
W666, I just had inbuilt speech vocalise your post which I then fed into GarageBand and played it backwards ......

Does anyone else suddenly feel the need to put out a call for Sam and Dean Winchester (and Castiel, too!) Sorry, but I'm a hopeless "Supernatural" fan.

Reaction score
That's a cool, interesting story Allen/Brush, and it looks like the use of the "name" Brush with your business is paying off!

Congratulations on your victory regarding the patent. Way to go!

Well, I'm pretty much retired now and only have a few clients I still take on. Just enough to keep my hands from becoming "the devil's workshop."

Reaction score
I'm retired also, although initially, starting in 2006, I was "semi-retired", as I needed to teach Mathematics courses part-time at community colleges, due to being too young (62 1/2 at that time) for Medicare. But it's been a permanent retirement since June 2011, and I am enjoying every minute of it! No more fighting traffic, no more "bowing" to a boss, and I can get up any time I want to!

Reaction score
I'm retired also, although initially, starting in 2006, I was "semi-retired", as I needed to teach Mathematics courses part-time at community colleges, due to being too young (62 1/2 at that time) for Medicare. But it's been a permanent retirement since June 2011, and I am enjoying every minute of it! No more fighting traffic, no more "bowing" to a boss, and I can get up any time I want to!

I had to take an early retirement when I was 58 due to an undiagnosable and so far untreatable form of vertigo, dizziness and loss of balance. Fortunately, I managed to get a waiver from the IRS so I could begin withdrawing funds from my retirement account a year early and without all the punitive taxes, penalties and other barbs one can get stuck with if touching such money before you're 59-1/2. I used to drive 60 miles a day (to and from) to my office, but rarely had traffic problems.

Problem is, I do miss my job. I was the No. 2 guy on the totem pole. My only boss was the owner, and if she disagreed with me, I could usually get my way by re-admitting my idea, etc., as if it were her own! I wore a lot of hats on that job. Graphic Artist, writer, editor, IT guy. When asked what title I wanted on my business card, I simply said "Chief Assistant to the Head Cheese." I got it, too!

I like getting up any time I want. Problem there is that I'm wide awake at 5 am, no matter how late I stay up the night before! And, dammit, I still have dreams about my old job as though I'm still working there. That's not right. I really loved and thoroughly enjoyed it there, so I never actually worked a day I was there!

Ask a Question