White screen start-up/ Disk stuck

Reaction score
Mac OS 10.4 iMac desktop. Not sure if intel or PPC... Recently got a new printer and was using the install disk to install the drivers. I put the disk in and I just had a loading mouse icon for several minutes. Couldn’t click anything, couldn’t eject and the printer icon did not show up. Shut down the computer and when I turned it back on I get the white screen. I’ve tried many things to eject the disk: - Held the mouse down during start-up. - Held eject during start-up. - Unplugged the power and used the two credit card trick. There seems to be some lock in the middle of the cd slot as I can’t seem to find the CD. As for trying to get to the login screen: - Restarted holding command+shift+p+r and was able to get it to restart again but nothing happened after that. - Restarted trying to get to safe mode by holding shift. - Unplugged the usb keyboard and power, waited a minute, plugged back in and nothing when I turned it on. - Switched to many different outlets, no results. - Unplugging everything, holding the power button for 10 seconds and then plugging everything back in. - Unplugging everything, waiting, plug everything back in and at the same time hold power button until loud beep noise came from computer. None of those solutions have worked. Sometimes my iMac will turn on by itself after plugging the power cords back in and without me hitting the power button. Just about every solution I could find online has been tried to no avail. I feel like the CD is causing the problem and if I can just get that out it will start up fine because it’s been working fine for some time. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Hi,

Not saying this will work for you but I know two friends that used this method.
Get a piece of card (credit card is best), then gently stick it in your CD drive this should stop the CD spinning. Now reboot and press the mouse while booting while putting pressure on the credit card.

If it fails then I would suggest a trip to your nearest Apple stores GB.

Ask a Question