Viewing hidden folders and files on a mac

Reaction score
With PCs when using an explore window you are able to navigate files and folders on the computer (if files (and folders) are hidden then you can change the preferences to see the hidden files and folders). How does one do it on a mac (please say this is possible :confused: )

thanks.

Reaction score
With PCs when using an explore window you are able to navigate files and folders on the computer (if files (and folders) are hidden then you can change the preferences to see the hidden files and folders). How does one do it on a mac (please say this is possible :confused: )

thanks.
Hello,
It's possible. Which hidden files and folders do you have in mind? Keep in mind that these files and folders are invisible for a reason, especially the system's files and folders which I highly recommend not tampering with. However, if you just want to view these files and folders, it won't cause any harm and you can do so by checking out Ric's Show and Hide Invisible actions or my NowYouSeeEmNowYouDont (the last entry) app. It works quite well on Tiger! :)
https://www.mac-help.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294

Reaction score
I looked at the link you show me and it seems like I would need to down load a program in order to do what I asked. Is there another way?

Reaction score
This should do it:
Open Terminal and type:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool true

relog or relaunch Finder for the changes to take effect =)

("defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool false" to hide them again)

Reaction score
I thought the command was

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

Anyway, much easier way is to download OnyX which allows you to do a multitude of things and is invaluable tool for repairing permissions/clearing out caches etc and a mutitude of other things.

http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs/english.html

Reaction score
Macnoob's and Kyomii's commands should do the trick. Copy either one and paste it in Terminal's window, click the return key and relaunch the Finder and you should be in business. Personally, I would prefer clicking one button to achieve the same thing but at least you'll be learning something about Terminal. :)

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I tend to agree that OnyX is a great maintenance app that's well worth having in your arsenal and you'll find that you can use it for a lot more than enabling/disabling the showing of hidden files.

As for the Terminal Command for showing/hiding the files, Leopard introduced a change in the inclusion of the words Yes/No in place of True/False at the end of the command ....

Reaction score
Another great maintenance app that will show invisibles, among many other things, is MainMenu. Dragade, you're using a Mac now so you don't have to worry too much about downloading applications. However, I do recommend that you download them from reputable sites. Incidentally, I just got done checking out both of these commands and they both work on Tiger. I keep on forgetting about Leopard! I have a Leopard disc within arm's reach and still have no desire to install it! :D

Reaction score
Hi,

I read through the response and I have a few questions. The following attachment is a picture of my desktop (this computer I have is running tiger).

with the string I am supposed to enter "com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES" (1) where I am supposed to enter it? In the top right button for searchers or am I supposed to use the "Macintosh HD/Finder" (or something else).

(2)Is the output of that string being enter give me some place to type "yes" or "true" or do I enter it as just one string?

Thanks

Attachments

• desktop.jpg
    desktop.jpg
    541.3 KB · Views: 442

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
In your Utilities folder you'll find Terminal. Launch it and at the blinking cursor type the following command as one string:

Code:
com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

Then press enter. You may have to relaunch Finder. To do that, press the Opt key and click the Finder icon in your Dock and select "Relaunch". OR you can simply log out then back in, that'll achieve the same outcome.

Now the hidden files should be showing but will appear more transparent than your other folders/files

Reaction score
I did want you said and recieved the following line

"-bash: com.apple.Finder: command not found"

then it gives me a place to enter a new command.

The account i am in I think should have enough admin to do anything

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I did want you said and recieved the following line

"-bash: com.apple.Finder: command not found"

then it gives me a place to enter a new command.

The account i am in I think should have enough admin to do anything

Code:
[I]defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool true[/I]

make sure you type exactly as above, with Finder all in lowercase (finder).

Ask a Question