Updated to El Capitan 10.11.5 and after reboot all personal files are missing

Reaction score
I hear ya...

I have been a strong Apple supporter (but not a fanboy) since the '80s, but I agree that the company is not the same since Steve passed. Having done Apple support personally and professionally since the early '90s, there are a lot of things that I don't agree with or think should change. But, there aren't many of them that I have control over, so I do what I can with the tools and knowledge I have acquired.

I am just happy that I chose this side of the fence, instead of the dark side...;)

C

The way I see it is that Apple is a company that continues to evolve, advance, and innovate, no matter who is in charge. All of that will, as expected, come at a price. It's up to each individual person how they want to deal with it. Either live in a dream world, or be proactive.

I for one still think Appel makes great products (heck, I would not continue to invest in them if I did not believe that!), but I am not going to hide behind any veil of thinking that such products do not deserve TLC. I have followed that in the past, am following that now, and will continue to follow that. Based on my experiences, such practices pay off handsomely.

Reaction score
The way I see it is that Apple is a company that continues to evolve, advance, and innovate, no matter who is in charge.

Some of the evolution is a step forward, some moves are steps backwards.

As example, El Capitan has some new features, but also lacks some features available in Snow Leopard. Secure erase is gone, Quicktime won't play a number of formats I used to be able to get it to play. This morning (using Yosemite) a message came up in the middle of my work saying the Mac would restart now. Any action by me was frozen out. I was powerless. Never saw that in Snow Leopard.

It would be wrong to say all the evolution is bad, but it's also wrong to say it's all good.

Reaction score
Some of the evolution is a step forward, some moves are steps backwards.

As example, El Capitan has some new features, but also lacks some features available in Snow Leopard. Secure erase is gone, Quicktime won't play a number of formats I used to be able to get it to play. This morning (using Yosemite) a message came up in the middle of my work saying the Mac would restart now. Any action by me was frozen out. I was powerless. Never saw that in Snow Leopard.

It would be wrong to say all the evolution is bad, but it's also wrong to say it's all good.

It has been said many times that Snow Leopard is the "best" version of the Mac OS. But, apparently it was lacking key features that users demand.

Sierra, at least from my perspective, does not offer anything that I critically need. In fact, I am still using El Capitan (V 10.11.6), and things are still fine. Even El Capitan did not offer me any thing that I had to have.

As for Quicktime, it is common knowledge that VLC is, far and away, the best video player out there. I have never had any issues using it with any video format. It just works, and works well.

So yeah, not all evolution is good. From my perspective, though, the evolution of the Mac OS has been "OK". One key thing, though, is that more and more third party software is being developed and/or updated to work with the newer versions of the Mac OS. That is a fact that will never, never change.

Ask a Question