Updated to High Sierra, no problems.

Reaction score
I have finally bitten the bullet and updated my MBP to High Sierra, I will try it out for a few days before updating the iMacs.
After reading of the problems people were encountering I was a little cautious with this update. I did a time machine backup and also Carbon Copy Cloned the drive, before downloading and installing, plus I copied all my data to an external drive and also to my cloud storage. All my apps are working ok and office 2016 seems to launch quicker than it has done in the past. I thought that my printer might cause problems but even that is working as it should. In fact the only niggle I had was that after updating, the backlight on the keyboard was at 100% whereas I always have it switched down to 0%. A quick press on the function button had it back on track.
Hopefully the update of the iMacs will be as trouble free.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Good to read! Well for one you certainly covered all bases. I don't envisage any problems either as I've researched enough although I'm in no hurry as per. Hoping Dropbox isn't going to give me probs as i depend on it. I think there was only one particular function that was affected but I forgot what this is for now.

Reaction score
See my entry, today, under:
Finder [and others] won't start.
Recent problems may have nothing to do with High Sierra.

Reaction score
Thanks for that informative post, PaBear. I am still waiting for upgrades to Tech Tool Pro, SuperDuper!, and the Logitech Control Center software for my Logitech mice before I "move"/upgrade from Sierra to High Sierra. That is encouraging about Office 2016, as I use it also. I assume you know the latest version is 15.39.

Myself, I will take the following steps when I upgrade:

1. I will download the latest "Install macOS High Sierra" file from the App Store for both of my Macs, and immediately make a copy of it in another location on each Mac's internal SSD.

2. Just like I do once a week, I will use Onyx and Tech Tool Pro to perform disk cleanup, maintenance, and repairs for both of my Macs.

3. Next, again as I normally do, I will use SuperDuper! to make one final (hopefully) "Sierra" backup/clone for both of my Macs to both of my external drives (SSDs in my case).

4. I will restart each of my Macs from the SuperDuper! backup. Then, I will use Disk Utility there to 1) verify that each internal SSD is fine (I suspect that will be the case, especially after using Tech Tool Pro)), and 2) perform an Erase and Format of each SSD.

5. Then, I will find and launch the file "Install macOS High Sierra" and perform a fresh, clean, "virgin" installation of High Sierra. (I wonder if that process will take care of the "APFS" business, and re-format the SSDs before the installation actually begins?).

6. When that process completes, I expect to be offered, via Migration Assistant, the opportunity to "migrate"/copy all my needed "stuff" from the SuperDuper! backup.

7. I then restart each machine, and voila (and hopefully!), I am successful. I do have 3 remaining tasks to do, though. First, I will need to install the High Sierra version of Onyx (I of course already have it). Next, I will need to launch Tech Tool Pro and create its (extremely useful) eDrive. And then finally launch 1Password (yes, I already have the version for High Sierra), and add it as an extension to my browser, Google Chrome.

Reaction score
Just updated one of the iMacs to High Sierra and again no problems all software and peripherals are working 100% OK. Just the wife's iMac left to do.

Reaction score
@ honestone, I upgraded 2 or 3 weeks ago I downloaded the HS file and installed it to an external SSD and using Time Machine restored my files to the external drive, I then restarted my machine and booted to the external to be certain everything was there, Once satisfied I used disk utility to format my internal SSD and used SuperDuper 3.0 beta (APFS) copied everything to my main drive. Everything went very well!

Reaction score
@ honestone, I upgraded 2 or 3 weeks ago I downloaded the HS file and installed it to an external SSD and using Time Machine restored my files to the external drive, I then restarted my machine and booted to the external to be certain everything was there, Once satisfied I used disk utility to format my internal SSD and used SuperDuper 3.0 beta (APFS) copied everything to my main drive. Everything went very well!

Sounds good, especially with using the beta version (V3.0) of SuperDuper!. From what I have been reading on Shirt Pocket's site, that version has been getting better and better, and especially operating in a "mixed" disk environment, ie, HDDs and SSDs. Myself, I have all SSDs, so that is not a concern for me. I am still waiting, though, for upgrades to Tech Tool Pro and the Logitech Control Center software for my Logitech mice. More and more folks on Logitech's forums are having issues with High Sierra and Logitech mice.

When you installed High Sierra on your external SSD, I assume you did a fresh, clean, "virgin" installation, correct? Also, I see where you did the restore to your internal SSD from that external SSD via SuperDuper!. That is definitely encouraging!

Thanks for that information. Much appreciated!

Reaction score
Yes, a fresh version install but not SSD to SSD but the original platter drive to the SSD.
Everything went well and the final installation saved me almost nine gigs of space.

Reaction score
Yes, the original HDD was in an enclosure. This machine has never run better or as well.
It also reduced my installation size by almost 9 gigs.

Reaction score
Yes, the original HDD was in an enclosure. This machine has never run better or as well.
It also reduced my installation size by almost 9 gigs.

Thanks again for the update. Sounds real good. Now if I can only get this Logitech Mice stuff "straight", and if there was an update from Micromat for Tech Tool Pro, I'd be good to go.

Ask a Question