Updated software on Macbook pro 2011 and it stopped working please help

Reaction score
I was installing an update for my macbook pro (early 2011), I think it was 10.6.8, anyways as I restarted my laptop to install the updates it got about 90% of the way through and then said there was an error. It then restarted my laptop and a grey screen popped up with the apple logo, then I got a loading bar which get part way along (I'd say about 1/10 of the way) after which it shuts down my laptop. I have tried multiple solutions including trying to boot up my system with the snow leopard installation disk, it then tell me I need to restart my system in 5 different languages including English. I have also tried running to fsck command in single user mode however I can no longer access this or verbose mode, and I have tried to bypass the primary start up volume by pressing Option-Command-Shift-Delete with no luck, I have tried to start it in safe mode but it just comes up with the same screen as trying to use the SL disk. If there is anything that can be done I will be very glad. Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Got single user mode back online, now telling me "The volume Macintosh HD could not be verified completely.
/dev/rdisk0s2 (hfs) EXITED WITH SIGNAL 8

Reaction score
Sounds like your HD is dead, go in via another Mac in Target mode and rescue what files you can, or if you already have a full current backup. Reformat your drive, I'd do a full write every block to ensure no bad blocks escape. If it passes that reinstall the OS and migrate from your backup.

Reaction score
Thanks for the help but I can't reinstall the OS for some reason, I have tried two different installation disks. One comes up with a screen with 5 different languages telling me to restart the laptop, the other just comes up with the grey screen with the apple logo and makes 3 beeping noises over and over again.

Reaction score
3 beeping noises over and over again
Thats the Mac telling you that its failed it hardware test, best you take it to a Apple Service Centre near you. Hope you have extended AppleCare.

Reaction score
Cheers for the help, got it under the 1 year warranty so hopefully it'll be free and I can keep my files. Thanks again :)

Ask a Question