System Restore for MAC?

Reaction score
Hi, I am pretty new to macs. I have my first one right now and i keep running into a problem. I was trying to change my desktop theme, and every-time i got to that window, the system preferences program keeps closing and saying there is an error. Im not sure why this all of a sudden occurred. But it won't let me do anything before closing and Im beginning to get really frustrated. So i was wondering if i could do some kind of system restore, like on a p.c., to put it back to yesterdays settings, so that maybe i wouldn't have this problem anymore. or if there is something else i can do. i need help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Hi and welcome to Mac-Help
I am not too sure what you mean by "desktop theme", is it the desktop picture you want too change? If so go to /system preferences and click the desktop & screensaver tab if you then click the desktop tab you should be offered a selection of pictures. you can even add your iPhoto contents if you have one. I hope this is of some use to you.

Reaction score
yes....i know where to go to change the desktop theme. Desktop theme is a fancy way of saying wallpaper. But that is exactly the problem. When i go into system preferences, under desktop, system preferences automatically shuts down. and and error pops up. I THINK its because.....you know how it lets you select a folder of pictures to chose from. Well, i accidently selected a folder that probably has hundreds of files in it. and i think its confusing it. SO i wanted to know if i could do some kinda restore, to set it back to settings from a couple days ago when it was fine. Or if there was something else i can do to get this error to go away

Reaction score
Hi
I thought it was too simple. If you look in the main library on you hard drive (not the user library) There should be a folder called desktop pictures. make sure that is there because that is where the system looks.

Reaction score
Yes that folder is there. I really think i confused it by having it look into a folder with hundreds of files. I did not mean to select that one. But the System Preferences program will not stay open long enough for me to select another folder. It is beginning to be really frustrating. Thats why i was wondering if there was some sort of restore i could do, to put it back to the settings before i accidently selected that folder.

Reaction score
Hmm
The next ricks are to repair permissions and then start up in safe mode holding down shift
then try t access system prefs

Reaction score
okay, well i have no idea what that even means or how to do that lol. but i figured out a way to trick the computer and get it to work finally. so it is all solved. i still would like to know for future reference how to preform a system restore if it is possible.

Reaction score
okay, well i have no idea what that even means or how to do that lol. but i figured out a way to trick the computer and get it to work finally. so it is all solved. i still would like to know for future reference how to preform a system restore if it is possible.

Hello, with the installation disc. You might want to make it a point to backup your "Home folder" as well.

Reaction score
I appreciate everyone who took the time to respond to my inquiry. However, I don't think i am making myself clear enough. Is there a system restore for a MAC, or is there no system restore for a MAC? I fixed the original problem i had with my computer, that led me to posting this question. And I have an external hard drive, so i am not worried about backing up my files. So.....restore? or no restore? if there is no restore....what is an alternative method?

Reaction score
I appreciate everyone who took the time to respond to my inquiry. However, I don't think i am making myself clear enough. Is there a system restore for a MAC, or is there no system restore for a MAC? I fixed the original problem i had with my computer, that led me to posting this question. And I have an external hard drive, so i am not worried about backing up my files. So.....restore? or no restore? if there is no restore....what is an alternative method?

There is no system restore like the one in WinDoze for Mac. A close alternate method would be Time Machine. http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/timemachine.html
Of course you can use the installation disc or clone your hard drive as well.

Reaction score
will time machine work for the tiger operating system? or do you have to have leopard?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I'm still using Tiger and I back up my files using SuperDuper in conjunction with an external Hard Drive.

This works very well for me as long as I have a regular back up plan ... touch wood all is going well so far ;)

When I run SuperDuper is checks the contents of my internal drive against what's on the external drive and if it finds new files on the internal, it copies them to the ext HD.

If it finds files on my ext drive that aren't on my internal drive, it removes them from the ext drive. So it's not an archival back up but just a mirror of my current HD contents.

This sort of backup takes a lot less time and you need to purchase the software to unlock this feature.

The results for me are I have a fully bootable backup drive in case something goes wrong and I can restore the status quo relatively easily ....

Ask a Question