Stop "copy" process

Reaction score
This morning I started to copy some files from a thumb drive to my desktop, the changed my mind. I clicked on the "X at the end of the file copy screen to stop the transfer, and it said "stopping", but it won't stop. Just says "preparing to copy to desktop" on the top, with the horizontal "barber pole" spinning in the middle, and says "stopping" underneath.

I tried to restart, but it won't let me. I pulled the thumb drive, didn't make any difference. I even manually shut down the computer, but when I turned it back on, the first thing on the screen was all of the same messages. How do I get this thing to respond?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Sounds like Finder is stuck thinking it is still preparing to copy. Try shutting down the Mac from  > Shut Down... and unchecking the box that says Reopen windows when logging back in. Then power on again.

Let us know if that cures it,

C

Reaction score
It won't let me shut down, as it says "The Finder can't quit, because some operations are still in process". (I tried that before.) Any other ideas? This is driving me crazy.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK...hold Command-Option-Esc down and Force Quit Finder. Then try to shut down.

If that doesn't work, you may have to force power off, but that can corrupt the OS.

C

Ask a Question