Spilled medicine on the keyboard - advice on cleaning please!

Reaction score
Hi, the title says it all really! I spilled a small amount of my daughter's Calpol onto the keyboard (just the function keys on the left seem to have been affected). I've taken the keys off to clean but there seems to be lots of sticky goo under each of the plasticky membrane thingies with the 'teet' attached.

Im afraid to try to clean underneath with anything like a toothpick as I don't know how delicate they are! Any advice on how not to ruin the key functionality and keep it from getting very sticky (note all seems to be working fine at the moment but I'm worried about the underneath).

sorry for the long post! Can anybody advise what my best course of action is?

Thank you,

Lisa

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. The key caps and scissor mechanisms are actually semi-fragile, and can be damaged easily if removed. The rubber plungers are actually attached to the keyboard assembly, and can also easily be damaged.

We don't recommend trying to clean it yourself. Hopefully the liquid didn't make it through the keyboard/top case and onto the logic board and components underneath. If so, they will eventually corrode and fail. The recommended action is to have it inspected by Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider and any affected parts replaced. In the long run, that will be the less expensive option, and will actually bring your Mac back to full warranty status.

Sorry for the bad news,

C

Ask a Question