Same iPhoto and iTunes folder for 2 user accounts ?

Reaction score
Hello,

I just got my very first iMAC after many years on Windows.

I created my admin account and downloaded in iPhoto and iTunes all my pictures and music from an external HD. Worked well.

I created a second account for my wife (different language), and I would like her to access the same iPhoto and iTunes folder I created for me with read/write access so that modifications she does are shown in my iPhoto/iTunes and vice versa.

How do I do that ?

Reaction score
you may find an answer to your problem hear

Code:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20050904072808460

Reaction score
Many thanks for this hint, it solves my problem for iPhoto.

Now what about iTunes: I have 1 iMac (Snow Leopard) with 2 accounts. How can both accounts share the same iTunes library ?

Reaction score
Hear you go Pikka, enjoy

To share your music with multiple user accounts on one computer
On Mac OS X
Quit iTunes.
Locate your iTunes Media Folder. (This folder may instead be named "iTunes Music" if your iTunes Library was created before iTunes 9). By default, the iTunes Media folder is stored in one of the following locations:
~/Music/iTunes
~/Documents/iTunes/
Note: "~" represents your Home folder.

These locations cannot be accessed by other accounts on your computer. In order for other users to be able to access your music, you must move the iTunes Media folder from them to a publicly accessible location.

Drag the iTunes Media folder to a publicly accessible location. The Public folder in your Home folder (~/Public) is a good location, or to another location outside your Home folder that other users have access to, such as /Users/Shared.
Important: Do not move the iTunes folder, the iTunes Library file or the iTunes Library.xml file.

Open iTunes.
From the iTunes menu, choose Preferences.
Click Advanced.
Click the Change button.
In the window that opens, navigate to the location of your iTunes Media folder.
Click Choose.
Repeat these steps for each user account that you want to share music with other users.

Note: If multiple users on your computer are storing music in one publicly accessible folder, duplicate song files appear when a user imports music from a CD that has already been imported by another user.

To listen to another account's music files
Open iTunes.
From the iTunes menu, choose Preferences.
Click Advanced.
Deselect the option to "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library file."
Click OK.
From the File menu, choose Add File to Library.
Note: Windows users can also choose Add Folder to Library to add a folder of songs.

In the window that opens, navigate to the location where the other user's music is saved (the iTunes Media folder in this example).
Click Open.
Repeat these steps for each account that is listening to shared music.

When another user on the computer imports new music from CD, repeat steps 6 through 8 to add the music to your library.

Ask a Question