Restoring an old .Mac Backup (Backup 2/3)

Reaction score
Hoping someone far more technologically savvy than myself has a possible panacea. I have an old PowerMac G5 running 10.5.8. The other day when I was cleaning out a storage closet, I came across my very first Home Folder backup from the old .Mac days spread across 20+ Verbatim DVDs. For nostalgia purposes, I was curious to know if there was anything of value that I may have misplaced or delated over time.

Of course I was unable to restore the backup since .Mac and Mobile Me is long dead. I was able to locate a Disk Image of Backup 3 but it would not recognize the creation using Backup 2.

I was wondering if there is another application that would be able to recognize this Home Disk backup or has too much time elapsed that I have to lick my wounds and just toss the disks.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Was it .Mac for sure, or possibly MobileMe?
-Do you remember what you used to create the backup? Apple Backup app? Disk Utility?
-Does each DVD contain a DMG file?
-Do you still have the Apple Backup app on your G5?

It may be tough to view/restore that data, but we'll try. ;)

C

Reaction score
Definitely was .Mac. I used Backup 2 at the time. Unfortunately I do not have the Disk Image of it and since the name is so generic, I have not had much luck in finding it within any abandonware type environments. I believe in order to get it, you had to download it directly from .Mac

I do have a Disk Image of Back Up 3.1 and while it does have a checkbox to restore from a Backup 1 or 2, it requests for me to place the master (last disk) of the backup set and while the Superdrive does mount the disk, the application does not recognize the back up. I do not believe its a DMG Its a disk incremental backup pkg image. Ideally I would like to see if Backup 2 works if I could get my hands on it, but ideally if theres something else out there that will essentially do the same thing, that would be great as well. I just don't see something like this being high advertised because Time Machine is pretty much standard these days. Thanks for the reply.

Ask a Question