(PowerBookG4) Won't let me select files to send

Reaction score
Well, just a few days ago this started up. Everytime I'm in any program and am trying to select a file to send, the application will freeze up entirely and eventally quit on it's own. It happens on both MSN Messenger as well as E-Mail, it will let me go through the motions to look through folders, but once I select a file, the program will freeze.

Any suggestions at all?

Reaction score
I'd suggest doing a fine tuning. Start with Disk Utilities and run "repair disk permissions." Have you done any recent changes in your set up, e.g., new RAM, etc.? Have you been able to try the same procedures with other similar software, e.g., Apple Mail, Entourage, Thunderbird? Does it happen with all? If not, you could simply have corrupted plist files for those problem applications.

Reaction score
I haven't loaded anything new onto the machine at all, save for some DVDs I'd downloaded from a torrent site; which is somewhat why I'm so confused this suddenly happened. The problem occurs within every file I use, be it an online servide like hotmail, or the standard mail program application on the mac.

Where abouts would the 'disk utilities' feature be located? This being my first mac I'm still a little bit ignorant as to most of it.

Reaction score
Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility. I use Disk Utility so often that I have a permanent place for it on my Dock.

If repairing disk permissions does not work, we can explore other suggestions. Hopefully someone else will be reading this, too, and make some suggestions.

Reaction score
Well, I just went through the run through with the verification and repair processes, and while they did seem to find certain problem and remedy them, I'm still not able to select files. What's your next suggestion?

Reaction score
So the problem still persists anyway, has this happened to anyone else? Are there any other suggestions?

Ask a Question