Outlook 2011 Version 14.6.9 for macOS Sierra 10.2 Always Closes

Reaction score
Hello-- and thanks for entering this thread.

My MacBook Pro loads Outlook on startup, but after about 5 minutes has to close because of an error, and I don't know why.
The incoming server is imap.gmail.com, but the port number is ghosted it seems by default. (I'm not sure that this is a factor.)

If anyone has suggestions about what is necessary to keep Outlook for always closing, please reply. As I am typing this message, Outlook has closed!

:-

Best,

LA

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-24 at 12.40.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-24 at 12.40.33 PM.png
    44.4 KB · Views: 357
Reaction score
First, why do you have Outlook opening up when you startup your machine?

Secondly, does this happen with any other Office 2011 apps (assuming you have Office 2011), ie, Word and/or Excel?

I have not yet updated to OS 10.12, Sierra, as one of my critical third party apps has not been upgraded yet for OS 10.12 compatibility. However, I had been using Office 2011 V14.6.9 until about 2 weeks ago (I now have Office 2016 V15.27), and although Outlook was not loading at startup, I did not have the issue you are encountering. Again, I am still on the last version of El Capitan, OS 10.11.6.

Maybe you should disable having Outlook 2011 loaded on startup.

Reaction score
First, why do you have Outlook opening up when you startup your machine?

Secondly, does this happen with any other Office 2011 apps (assuming you have Office 2011), ie, Word and/or Excel?

I have not yet updated to OS 10.12, Sierra, as one of my critical third party apps has not been upgraded yet for OS 10.12 compatibility. However, I had been using Office 2011 V14.6.9 until about 2 weeks ago (I now have Office 2016 V15.27), and although Outlook was not loading at startup, I did not have the issue you are encountering. Again, I am still on the last version of El Capitan, OS 10.11.6.

Maybe you should disable having Outlook 2011 loaded on startup.

Thanks, honestone for your reply.

1. Excel and Word have never closed in Office 2011.
2. Disabling Outlook does not prevent Outlook from closing after being accessed. Thx for suggestion.
3. I'm wondering why I never received an update to 15.27 -- not that it would help.
4. I've had this Mac for nearly two years, and Outlook has always had to close.
5. As you can imagine, this issue is very frustrating.

Best,

LA

Reaction score
I always quit Outlook when I am finished with my EMail tasks, so I'm not sure why you would leave it running for 5 minutes (unless you want to leave it open to "catch" incoming EMails). Also, V15.27 is for Outlook 2016, not Outlook 2011. V14.6.9 is the latest version for Outlook 2011.

Have you done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs? Also, are you making backups to an external device?

Reaction score
I always quit Outlook when I am finished with my EMail tasks, so I'm not sure why you would leave it running for 5 minutes (unless you want to leave it open to "catch" incoming EMails). Also, V15.27 is for Outlook 2016, not Outlook 2011. V14.6.9 is the latest version for Outlook 2011.

Have you done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs? Also, are you making backups to an external device?

The problem is that Norton Anti-Virus causes Outlook to close every ten minutes. (Uploaded 10.12.1 but still closes.) I removed Norton. Cleaned up Outlook user Profile. Checked for Adware and unwanted programs. Shutdown, restored Mac, relaunched Outlook, which has now been running without any closes. I am making backups to an external.

I do leave email open because I receive a high number of messages. And, finally, after all of this, I'm going to use Apple Mail, not Outlook, and have made some changes to the former.

Thanks for your interest. I learned things.

LA

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification. I don't have Norton Anti-Virus, as (knock on wood!) I have not had any viruses, and I try and be extremely careful. Also, I do not keep any Office 2016 app open all the time. In fact, about 99.5% of the time, I only have 1 app running (like now, only have Google Chrome active).

I just hope there are no issues between OS 10.12.1 and Office 2016 (and specifically Outlook 2016). (Still waiting for the upgrade for TechTool Pro). By the way, is the version of Norton Anti-Virus you have compatible with Sierra, OS 10.12.1?

Good luck with Apple's Mail program.

Ask a Question