OSX 10.3.9 won't recognize ethernet card, external drives don't mount

Reaction score
I updated my G4 system from 10.1.2 to 10.3.9. It was working fine for a week or so but one day I turned it off and a log in to system screen showed up. My original desktop picture was gone and my harddrive alias/icon on my desktop was also gone. Neither my external harddrive nor my external dvd drive will mount and now my system is not able to connect to the internet. I am sure it is not my modem or the router because other people in my apartment are able to connect. Whenever I type in an address, the message displayed is "cannot find server." I tried to repair permissions on my internal harddrive but all the problems are still happening. Any suggestions?

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

"The cannot finder server" message could be a DNS related message...

Can you try entering this into the Web browser address bar instead...

and let us know if it connects ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks! My Internet is working after I typed in the DNS number...any suggestions as to why neither my external harddrive or external DVD drive won't mount? I will try re-installing my operating system if I need to but I would like to try other options first. Thanks again.:confused:

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

So I presume you have changed you DNS name servers and normal Web address's are now working...

Can you try running Repair Permissions from Disk Utility and then a restart...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Ric,
My external hard drive is now mounting but I can't get my Lacie DVD drive to show up. I need the drive to mount in order to install my tiger DVD. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Ask a Question